Methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello thanks for your time. I started both of these ten weeks ago, I'm on 400mg hydroxy and 25mg of methotrexate.

Last week I got in such a state about having to take them and it's got to a point where I constantly feel sick because I'm so anxious of having them, so I've been taken off hydroxychloroquine for two weeks so that now I only have medication on a Monday, I thought this would help but the whole afternoon I was feeling nauseuous and now I've taken my weekly dose my stomach is swirling and head is pounding.

I don't know how I can carry on like this feeling constantly sick and anxious :-(

Does it get better?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm on the same dosage of both and have been for 4 months now and I still get sick feeling, a hangover headache.Diarrhoea etc.And I'm hoping mine eases up soon cos I hate feeling like this.I see my Rheumatologist November I'm asking to come off it as it's not helped my joints either

• Posted

Are you sure it's the Hydroxy that's making you sick? I was very nauseous 4 days a week when taking oral Metho and once I was changed to injections I was fine. I wonder sometimes though as some days I take my tabs, which also include anti depressants, and start sneezing about 30 mins later and then I know I will be sick but feel fine afterwards. They have certainly helped my RA though. I hope you get it sorted because there is nothing worse than nausea.

• Posted

Hi Its not the Hydroxychloroquine it's the Methotrexate that makes me feel lousy.Its the same feeling I got when I was on Chemo.

• Posted

Hi

I think it could be the MTX like you for about 72 hours afterwards

I have symptoms like nausea,diahorria and migraines.

The symptoms severity fluctuates from severe to mild.

I reduced my working week to work Mon-thur then take my MTX Thursday night before bed, have tried hydroxychloroquine,

Sulphasalazine , orencia humeira and lastly retuximab alongside

MTX but have only had a few months pain free before flares.

The side effects differ from person to person have you asked if you can reduce the MTX or stop it also have you asked about

steroids all worth a try but firstly try taking your injection last

thing at night may be you will sleep through the worst of the side effects.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Having a disease is difficult.

Perhaps you might seek the aid of a counselor who can teach you some relaxation techniques.

Take a deep breath, know you have friends here.

Kind regards,

• Posted

Doesn't sound like you and MTX are going to get along.  I'd push to go off it too.  Alot of people can't tolerate it.  There ARE better meds - just ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.