23 Year old have been dealing with vertigo for four months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Four months ago I had a huge case of vertigo, full room spinning and constant vomitting, the dizziness was triggered by my right ear hence why I couldn't sleep on the right side. 

My doctor preformed the Epley manuever which got rid of it but some of the effects of Vertigo have lingered. I'm always exhausted, i'm off balance like when i lean backwards and forwards or to left or right. 

I can sleep fine on either side but some of these effects still haven't gone away, My legs also feel lighter in the sense when I get up like from a chair it feels much lighter no doubt because of the disbalance.

I was wondering what I should do next, I have an appointment with an ENT but that is 5 months away and I need to get back to school which is very challenging while dealing with this. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did you have just one single episode of vertigo, or was it many episodes associated with movement.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I believe it was just the one, it's hard to say because the one episode was so intense so i'm not quite sure what is considered an "Episode" but I believe it was just the one. It's the residual effects that still linger that baffle me. 

• Posted

Sounds to me like labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis. Sadly there isn't much you can do besides time! VRT exercises will also help

• Posted

Well after some reading it suggests weeks but this has been happening for months, four months to be exact. The vertigo itself tends to come and go in small spurts, as of late I have been doing a modified semont excercise combined with a prescription to serc.

I don't really have much other choice than to wait but do you think it could be anything else?

• Posted

It was more of a wild guess, he thought it could be calcium crystals so he preformed an epley maneuver. The intense episode of vertigo started to subside within the week but that could be coincidental. 

After reading a bit more about Vertibular Neuritis, it could definitley be that but I really don't know. I'm not a doctor and waiting 5 months for a diagnosis from an ENT is a bit absurd

• Posted

Hi Jana, 

From my experience with vestibular neuritis (mine occured just over a year ago) it takes time to get a diagnosis.  I had to have a cloric test done at the hospital before I had a confirmed diagnosis.  I lost 83% of my balance on my right side.  It takes a lot of Vestibular Therapy exercises, but they do help.  The more you do to get out and test your balance the better it seems to be....   hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks a lot, I have been doing the excersises and I will continue to do so. I also just got a gym membership. I appreciate all the help.
    • Posted

Serc is a vestibular suppresant so it will stop ur brain from fully compensating. I would stop that. Iv had possible VN for 6 months now and am yet to meet someone who only had it for weeks. It could be BPPV with an inner ear illness like VN or labs.
    • Posted

Iv been doing the excerises you recommended, they make me a bit fatigued which I think is only natural. I have to keep off it and i'll lay off of the serc. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.