Glandular fever recovery (fast)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with glandular fever last week. Now looking back the symptoms were there for a few weeks. About three weeks ago I had headaches and body aches and generally felt unwell and the next week I felt slightly feverish, very tired and could feel a sore throat coming on, by the Friday of that week my eyelids had gone puffy/swollen and I had a sore throat and fever and felt exhausted. The next Monday i went to the doctor as my throat was very sore and I was given antibiotics but by the wednesday these had made no difference and my throat was only getting worse. I could barely swallow and painkillers were only taking the edge off, so on Thursday I went back to the doctor he recommended staying on the antibiotics but did a blood test for glandular fever and also gave me oral steroids as my tonsils were so huge.

The steroids really helped and my tonsils felt smaller by the end of that day. By Saturday i felt a million times better no more fever, headaches, sore throat and really not too much tiredness.

I was back in college on Monday and I think i think I feel basically normal again. My doctor got back to me saying bloods showed glandular fever and just not to drink alcohol or do contact sports. And mentioned nothing about taking time off college. Does this seem unusual to anyone else as most of the stuff I read about glandular fever say that people are often off for weeks and feel really unwell for a long time where as I only took one week ?

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this where they bounced back extremely fast ?

One thing I have noticed though is I feel weepy and depressed especially in the morning ? Could this be because of gf or just me feeling upset at being back at college again ? Has anyone experienced this ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I unfortunately haven't bounced back, in fact I've been suffering with it since December last year. However, I do get the weeping and feeling depressed. I've been told it goes away, it's all just a waiting game. But you'll get through it, and you won't even think about it anymore. It can really effect you mentally,which none of my doctors warned me about and I wish they had as I thought I was the only one until I found this forum.

Take care,

And remember you are stronger than this,

Eden

• Posted

Thanks for your reply it's good to know I'm not the only one feeling weepy.

I just wake up in the morning and feel like crying and I don't know how to make it better

• Posted

I would say be really careful with going back to 'normal' too soon. It's like a typical flu- when you're resting you feel okay but as soon as you start doing too much it comes back bad. Really listen to your body. I didn't and I've had bouts of glandular fever on and off ever since I was diagnosed 18 months ago. This has led me to be signed off work for a month- trust me you don't want this ! It isn't ideal but the more you rest now the better chance you have of a full recovery.

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for your reply.

The thing is I feel like I really do feel normal but I can see from all the stories im reading that most people really need to rest, I really don't think I feel tired and I don't want to go too long without getting back to excercising because I know if I leave it too long I'll get lazy and never go back to it. How long do you think I should continue to rest from excercise for ?

• Posted

That's exactly what I was like. I refused to accept how poorly I was and kept saying I felt okay. I even continued to train and run long distance like I used to. However, it came back to bite me on the bum as I ended up practically house bound for a month or more and my training has never been the same since. I used to run 5-6 miles 4 or more times a week and weight training as well. At the moment I'm lucky to manage 2 runs a week and that's only when I feel completely fit. So you can see how much it has taken it out of me.

If I could go back and do it again I would scrap exercise completely for a month and then build up to it slowly. I know, it's so frustrating , particularly when exercise helps relieve stress etc, but if you do too much too soon you'll end up making yourself much , much worse.

Sorry - it's just I wish I'd listened to people who warned me about it at the time. I think I would be in a different situation now if I had.

Hope that helps X

• Posted

My advice is to drink plenty of water, take a good probiotic, eat healthy rest when needed and avoid sugar and alcohol

I wouldnt do any strenuous exercise, walking and stretching along with your colledge commitments will probably be enough

I found meditation worked well for my stress levels and relaxation

Its a fine line between doing the right amount of activity and doing too much. If you over do it, you'll feel it the next day.

Go slow, try not to stress, be paitient and rest rest as much as possible

Listen to your body

Wishing you a fast recovery

Take care

• Posted

Hello Sh,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell these past few weeks with glandular fever. It is a nasty virus and all the effects you have had are awful to experience, just hope they are easing up a bit. That's good you are feeling a bit better now, the important thing is to listen to your body, don't overdo it and just see how you feel at college and if you find you can cope or not. You still need plenty of rest in the weeks after the initial virus hits for recovery, so make sure you get that and just ease your way back into things.

The virus seems to affect everyone differently so try not to worry too much and just give yourself and your body time to recover just now because it has taken a battering with this! Sounds like you are young, which is great and you most definitely will recover quicker! It for sure can make you feel depressed and not quite yourself because it off sets your body so much, but that will come round again.

Just try to avoid too much stress at the moment, and take time off if you are able to and you feel it helps. You will get better and recover, without any doubt in my mind. Thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Also start taking a good multi-vitamin every day, that will definitely help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.