EGFR Has Gone Up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone received my latest labs yesterday,and my EGFR has gone up again,It's 83,from 77,I am however at risk for developing-diabetes.My A1C fasting was 6.0 High as the test stated.I also noticed I had traces of keytones.I did eat some sweets in the middle of the month.Maybe a little to much,that's why I tested high

On my A1C test. Can someone tell me if this is really bad and will I develop diabetes?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

GFR is only ever a best guess and if you don't have chronic kidney problems can change depending on a lot of factors, such as what you have been doing before your bloods, what you eat and what meds if any you are on.  It can also be effected by slight infection that you may not be aware you have.  Any GFR above 60 is classed as normal if yours is 83 I would be happy with that and not worry.Now your fasting results I don't know where about you live but in the uk anything between 3 and 8 is normal so if your result is 6 after fasting you are fine again don't worry.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

A GFR of 83 is very good, above 60 is normal, a nephrologist would be very reluctant to see you based on those readings regardless.
    • Posted

That is actually dependent on age and assessment of risk. As you probably know treatment is supported by evidence based practice, therefore, whether a neph would be willing to see them or not depends on their condition.

In terms of your risk of diabetes, presumably you would have to speak to your health care provider; surely they can offer you some insight, such as preventative measures, calculating the risks etc. - Best of luck

• Posted

I have IGA Nephropathy and small membrane disease which has caused my GFR to be a little low, the Nephrologist basically discharged me and said until the function goes below a certain threshold ie,an eGFR of 30 or below, the disease is to be treated at local level, as in  your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.