Arthrities medication / alternatives ???

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi anybody has experience with arthritis medications, side effects and alternativ medication, diet, exercise ..... ????

what helps what does not ???

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What kind of arthritis have you been diagnosed with?  I have never taken anything in the way of painkillers for osteoarthritis, just a good dose of glucosamine twice a day.  I've had OA for maybe thirty years.  I now have polymyalgia rheumatica, which is really a vasculitis but is usually considered one of the many forms of arthritis, and for that I have to take prednisone (a steroid) as nothing else works and I was becoming disabled.  There is a lot of inflammation with PMR and that has to be treated because it can lead to other things, including cancer.  So that's pretty much the spectrum.  No treatment, or something heavy duty with lots of possible side effects.  So - what kind of arthritis do you have?  

• Posted

so glucosamine helps !!! I have at times sore ankels ( feet and hands) and i try to find something for my shoulder problems, as dr. just says i should take it easy on those days but i need to find something for my sore bones, so as dr. is not very helpfull i try to find solutions on my own  smile And as i can remember my grandmother and mother having those simelar problems i think i have the beginnings signs of athritis ! the pain is also linkt to my monthly cycle so would be glad to find something what helps balance the hormone household naturally !

• Posted

Glucosamine is a longterm treatment, not one which deals with immediate pain.  I think it works by preserving the cartilage, or something.  I take 1000 mg at breakfast, and 1000 mg at suppertime.  Have done so for many years.  Considering how long I've had this OA diagnosis I feel it must have been helping me because I have few problems from it.  A physiotherapist also helps me as I have some OA in my spine: lower back and neck.  The rest is mainly in my hands and feet.  My knees are good.  I am quite thin which also helps OA, apparently.  smile

BUT if you have something more serious, like rheumatoid arthritis, this advice likely will be no good for you.  Every form of arthritis needs a different kind of treatment and some are more difficult to deal with than others.  

• Posted

thank you very much it helps to know that glucosamine actually helps and is not a placebo smile

• Posted

I don't know what studies have found out.  I am only telling you my personal experience.  There may be other things in my life which help - e.g. I don't smoke, I'm not overweight and eat a healthy diet, and I exercise regularly.

• Posted

Alternativ medicine says glucosamine are helping, confencial medicine says it s not wink

• Posted

Hi I have got Arthritis,as my Hubby has,but he's been medication for many years,& has had ulcers in his stomach! Not good. Reflexology is very safe.I would advise magnesium from your health food shop. cod liver oil,plenty of big c.Excercise is good swimming is the best for & gentle walking.i use joint ace massage cream twice a day.My Husband also use s a tens machine,as it's not good to rely on .Arthritis is horrid as there isn't a cure.regards Amanda

• Posted

ja the tens machine works well I think and of course exercise . what kind of medication is your  husband using ? is it ESMe ?
    • Posted

Hi Mireille,Thanks for your reply.My other half is on painkillers ( Tylex,Robaxin ( muscle relaxer,an anti ulcer one,& zydol that contains morphine! He can't exercise as his joints are awful.His knees have worn out behind the knee cap.Hes also got severe Arthritis of his neck.I have reflexology once every two weeks.I also have Arthritis,in my hips & knees.regards Amanda

• Posted

One of my joints in the big toe is totally "gone". That is. bone on bone and nerves getting trapped and rubbed, 6-8 months to go to an OP which will fuse the toe, to end that rubbing.

Went back to my referring GP and said that I am not going to be popping pills for that long; what else is there to be had?

Got a cream which is extracted from chillies and normally used for severe arthritis in the knee. Tried it and... it works! How? Nerve blocking or what - the leaflet does not say. I expected a burning feeling on the skin, but no. Tingling feeling well away from the toe. above the ankle and knee, not unpleasant or painful.

- anyone know more about this "alternative"?

The comment on magnesium is interesting. I have the tabs, but for a completely different purpose (to pre-empt muscle cramps on days long hikes, the magnesium deficiency being brough on by prolonged sweating). 

• Posted

Dear Mireille,

I agree with the comments from above.  It would be sensible to consult a naturopath - particularly one focusing on diet.  One of the primary issues of arthritis is heat.  So a cooling diet would be senisble - ie, cutting smoking, alcohol, chillies and so on.  And there are cooling foods to take - food I'd medicine. Chinese herbs are very effective - but it's unregulated so one has to be careful - (I refer you to contact the British Acupuncture Council). And finally I treat people with different levels of arthritis to mild to extreme - acupuncture clears the heat wonderfully, eases pain, and so improves movement.  But with money in mind, and it being a long-term chronic condition gentle massage would be what I would doing everyday.  The key is to establish blood flow, and clear heat.  So for the hands / fingers for example.  Start with the forearms, and wrists making sure that the muscles aren't unduly tight (if tight it traps the heat in the blood in the hand - encouraging inflammation).  This massage could be done with any cream placed on the skin, and then using a tissue just gently pushing & rotating the area of tightness.  Then check the webbing of the fingers - apply same technique.  Then fingers - use a tissue with cream, and gently pull the finger for 1 minute - & any tight muscles on the fingers massage gently. Don't massage the joints, massage the areas before & after.  The aim is to clear heat, release muscle, improve blood flow, cut pain, improve movement.  It needs to be a long term habit. ... Just like stretching should be a long term habit.  If I've annoyed anyone by this post, I'm sorry, for some, this advice won't be helpful. But my hope is that for others it may be a nudge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.