Awaiting knee surgery (meniscus tear in cartilage)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been a runner for many years!The past four years I have been doing a bootcamp/boxing training which has helped no end changed my figure unfortunately the last 5months having problems with the knee and diagnosed with a tear in carliage after having a MRI scan and awaiting surgery up until January 2017

I would like to train still up until surgery and keep my self lean and defined without the pain/swelling of my knee would be grateful of all tips towards training !

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Gotta be careful. You can do more damage. Get pieces floating around. Get caught I the joint etc. Can make it bleed.
    • Posted

Ah thank you for that ,I have changed my training so I can still do a little and to strengthen my hamstring/quads and glutes!
  • Posted

If you have already done that much damage the intense usage will only make it worse. You didn't mention age but there comes a time in life you have to give the body a break. Looking fit is great for the ego but then you and only you can make the decision of which is The most important.......looking like a million dollars or being able to walk without agonizing pain. Once joints, ligaments and tissue start giving it up you can rest assured continual beatings arentbgoing to heal. Streatching, low impact activities may be your answer. Discuss this with your orthopod and/or a qualified sports med therapist.

Frankly, it sounds like you have made up your mind that your ego driven mentality towards fitness is outweighing common sense toward long term health of your joints.

I don't mean to sound harsh but when you talk to people that are 60 + and the only thing they know is pain every time they take a step and know there is no reversal you understand where I'm coming from.

Whatever your decision, best of luck.

• Posted

Mine was torn. All I did was wait for authorization for tests and surgery. That took 7 months. I had to go to work. I took it easy. It took 2 a surgeries to fix the damage. Lots of torn up issue. Alot of bleeding. Doc was not happy. I was 37 then. Never fully recovered. My jogging days where over. No long walks. Just daily routine is hard.
  • Posted

Hi - I injured my ACL 40 odd years ago and kept running etc . Had a repair done 15 years ago and then 6 years ago did the meniscus which also required a repair. Sadly even though the knee was usable with care I could no longer run or do my yoga which I loved. Now I am 7 weeks out from a TKR as the initial injury has caused arthritis in the knee. A mess to be honest. My advise would be to alter your trading to include low impact sport such a cycling and swimming. They will still do the work on your body but will not cause the damage to your knee joint which is already damaged and will always be at risk. Wear a support brace when doing any impact. Fingers crossed if you take the care you will avoid the TKR but your knee is now fundamentally a different knee to your pre injury knee and you do need to adjust to that.

I am sure you will be fine as you obviously have the discipline required smile

• Posted

Hi ya thank you for your input ,I do know that my training after surgery will be of low impact I do also enjoy strength work and hopefully maybe add this later on in training with advise from all those envolved after surgery thank you for your thoughts
    • Posted

One thing people don't mention is how much easier recovery is if you have a strong upper body. You need to be able to haul yourself around more than usual !!!  

• Posted

I have just returned from a upper body and core class I'm lucky as my son has his own gym and one of our trainers had knee surgery last year and by the same surgeon I'm under so fingers crossed I'll be well looked after!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.