Some questions about ESA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey folks,

I am actually a full time, young carer for my Mum, so I hope these questions don't seem too silly.

Due to the title, I would obviously like to ask a few questions about ESA.

We have already been awarded the enhanced rate of PiP for both living and mobility. We are very grateful. I have seen a lot of people applying for ESA on here. So here's the thing - my Mum is definitely not able to work, and there is no likelihood that she will ever go back.

Is ESA optional for people that will never work again? Or is it for persons who will have a chance to get better and work again? Obviously my Mum would be in a group in which she can't work - does this mean she still has to 'sign on' if she gets the benefit?

Thank you all so much in advance - I have had such comfort and knowledge in all of your replies in other discussions! Xxx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I have no idea as I have been lucky not too be in the situation that I needed it, but thought I would just say hello, I hope as a carer you are getting the support you need, I know how hard it can be cause I'm on the receiving end, your doing a great job and I don't know your mums health concerns but I do know she will appreciate your support no matter what.

• Posted

Thank you so much Alexandria, what a wonderful thing to read! My mum suffers from early onset Rheumatoid Arthritis, Disbetes, COPD, Gall Stones, Carpal Tunnrl but has early this year suffered three strokes in one episode which, along with the RA have been the main contributing factors to her disability - not something we anticipated!

But we are lucky enough to still have her here, and that's what I'm focusing on smile

Thanks so much for your reply even though you don't know much about the subject - it means so much to me as a carer as it can be quite lonely!

Hope you are well x

• Posted

Hi, ESA is available to anyone that has a current sick note and is unable to work at present.

There are two types. The first is based on your mum’s National Insurance record over the past 3 years. The second is a means tested type.

I would suggest that you go to the CAB and ask that they carry out a benefit entitlement calculation.

If you want to do it yourself, check out the ‘Turn2us’ website – there is a calculation tool that you can use.

Finally, and this has nothing to do with ESA, given what your mum suffers from and the disabilities that it has brought – how did you find claiming PIP? Was there someone that helped you? If so, maybe they can have a look at the ESA entitlement also?

• Posted

Your welcome, I can now get an idea of how hard you must be finding the task in hand, try not to lose yourself, if ever you need an ear then I'm about, might not be able to give constructive advice about ESA but will give support if you need it.

Take care

• Posted

Hello Les,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with such a detailed explaination - I have been silent on these forums but have read a lot of your posts and know you're very knowledgable about these things!

I used the 'turn2us' benefits calculator (tried my local CAB and they didn't seem to have a clue) and I found it very helpful!

I've actually been doing everything off of my own back, so anything we are applying for or currently getting is purely through my own research, as I think most of us know they don't make it easy by telling us what we can potentially get. I found Pip ok really, apart from the long wait which everyone seems to have. I know this hasn't been the case for you and I'm so sorry you've been let down and not getting the support you need sad

Once again, thank you for replying.

• Posted

Thanks so much Alexandria, bless you. I truly to appreciate the support and response to my tiny post on this huge forum. Please stay I touch, I hope everything is going well for you x
  • Posted

Hi it depends on which category your mother is placed in.  There are 2 in ESA.  There is WRAG (work related Activbity Group) This means that she would get ESA but would be deemed capable of some work.  She would have to sign on and attend the jobcentry on a regular basis.

The second group the Support one - she would be considered incapable of work and would not have to look for any.   Either group could mean regular reassessments.   She would get more money in the support group.

The Govt. now is introducing no reassessments for certain  illnesses so it would depend on what is wrong with her.

For info  about benefits google  .Govt UK  x

• Posted

Hi Hypercat,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, it's brought a lot of light and comfort to our situation!

• Posted

You are very welcome.  Good luck to you and your mum.  x

• Posted

hi ya hun if l your mum is under pension age then she will be entitled to esa if she's claiming pension then you can't get esa hun you can apply for this benefit over the phone your mum will need to get sick note of her doctor to claim sickness benefit which is now encome support allowance if you pop in to your local job center they will point you in the right direction it's hard work caring for your mum. I was my mum's carer for many yrs but sadly passed away in April and I myself have now become very poorly like your mum I have severe copd my right middle lung has collapsed I also have gall stones awaiting operation to remove gall bladder I've got slipped disc one is pressing on my spinal cord low moods aniexty depression buldging ligament on my back I've just had my assessment for pip I'm waiting on reply I had text last Thursday saying they got all information they need that I will hear soon by letter it's horrible waiting game anyway I hope you manage to sort your mum's claim out for esa and if you ever wanna chat I'm here as I know how stressful it can be caring for your mum some days you feel so alone take care hun hopefully chat soon x

• Posted

Hey Michelle!

I am so sorry to hear about your Mum's passing sad my love and thoughts to you and your family. I just don't want to imagine what could have happened this year with my mum, I try not to think about it but sometimes it's hard not to.

Thank you so much for your advice and kindness - I am overwhelmed by the support and friendliness shown. Where I'm from people keep themselves to themselves and I have little to no help from my family apart from the odd car ride to the hospital if I beg for it, and then it isn't made clear it's not done happily.

PiP can be such a bummer waiting for, but when you do finally get that decision, for us anyway, it seemed such a short time. Much like anything, when you're going through it, it seems a life time, when it's over, it seems like five minutes of your life. I'm sorry to hear of your health deterioration, I hope you're getting the best help and getting it all sorted. There's nothing worst than waiting for appointments for an outcome! Please take care of yourselves and stay in touch as to how you're getting on x

• Posted

Hi Tori, hope your days not been too bad, maybe you have decided which route your going to take, whichever it is I hope it gets sorted faster than some poor souls on here.

I went to my first in house physio and I thought home one was tough, they say they do it to keep blood flow going well, I think there all into sadism LOL have a good nights sleep

• Posted

Hi Alexandria!

How are you this morning? Hope you're well!

I applied for ESA on Wednesday - spent most of the late morning and early afternoon on the phone emotionally exhausting myself. Called CAB who weren't much help at all bless them - they just read off of the Gov website and they kept thinking the claim was for me when I stated several times during the phone call it was for Mum. Also called a local carer charity who were out of office so I just decided to go for it! Called DWP and they wanted to know so much information, so much more than pip! I came out feeling upset, confused and overwhelmed, I wanted to come out knowing more! I've got to send off a sick note and a few other forms I think, I tried writing down everything she said but they speak so fast. So I hope it will come a bit clearer when she sends our letter through.

Either way, it's a foot through the door and I've started the claim!

Mum has just recently had a home visit from the rehab physio team too! It's to help with her circulation and to stimulate the nerves from her brain to different parts of the body that have died off, so it's really hard for her and mentally challenging. I do this with her everyday though and I try to make a laugh out of it - you've got to, haven't you?

Hope you're having a lovely day, thanks for the check up and sorry for the essay! X

• Posted

I hate this site for its ability to lose a post that I have just spent twenty minutes doing and its gone, will be back in a minute
    • Posted

Hi again, decided to do it offline and paste.

I'm glad you have put your toe in the water, there hard to get through to that you are claiming for someone else, eventually the penny drops though, I always record the conversation, I tell them the reason for doing so is that I want to be sure of what I'm doing and so my carer can also be aware of what I need to send with paperwork, you can say the reason you are recording it is so your family are kept in the loop and could if need be take over you and always be aware of what was going on.

I'm going Tesco today, I lead such an exciting life :-) will have a taxi cause don't get car till next week, will use one of Tescos buggies there not bad, I'm not best driver as I have RA and it gets my hands and wrists but people just have to get out of my way LOL like you say u have to laugh.

If you need any help with PW give me a PM take care, I'm off for a wizzz LOL adding a bit, essay's are good and keep your mind focused, my dad had 3 strokes when I was much younger and me and my mum cared for him, I don't know how old your mum is but it for me I a hard disability to see our loved ones cope with, the harder they work at physio the better the results, does your mum get speech therapy as well

• Posted

Oh my goodness, same Alexandria! Do you reply on your phone? I had to write my response to you out twice!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.