Heart palpitations and glandular fever

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with glandular fever last week and now a week later I'm feeling pretty much better no more sore throat fever headaches swollen glands and almost no tiredness and I've been told by my doctor to avoid alcohol and contact sports but other than this to carry on as normal.

However one thing I have noticed is that when I'm lying down or resting I'm very aware of my heart beat. It's possibly beating faster than normal but I'm not sure. And I also kind of feel like like I'm breathing heavier, like after you've excercised and need to breathe more to get enough oxygen.

Has anyone had anything similar to this ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've had the exact same thing with the breathing. I get it mostly when I'm eating and also at night and sleeping in certain positions. It almost feels like I can't take deep enough breaths at the moment.

I can't say that I've found much to ease the symptoms other than using a nasal spray to clear my airways and trying certain breathing techniques to ease my breathing. I think it must be to do with swelling in the throat and not getting as much oxygen into the body as I've previously been used to. I'm hoping this is a symptom that will ease!

Let me know if you think of anything smile

• Posted

Yes I have, and still do. I downloaded an heart rate monitoring app on my phone called instant heart rate. And my heart rate has regally been about 100bpm.
  • Posted

Yes, I have experienced those weird symptoms plus others.  This GF is a nasty virus which effects all parts of the body.  My doctor has told me to take my recovery slowly with lots of rest, fluids and healthy food.  My doctor also told me to avoid alcohol and contact sports.

If your symptoms continue be sure to contact your doctor to make sure that you do not have a secondary problem.

Be sure to take it easy and listen to your body.  Many of us on this site have found that we need extra rest.

wishing you well!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.