Needing answers!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 34 year old woman. Have been having bleeding, mucous and needing to go urgently for about 8 weeks now. Had a colonoscopy last week and they didn't find anything. My sister has Chron's and my mother has ulcerative colitis. Stool sample came back with high white blood count. I'm wondering if there is something else that could be causing this? Has anybody ever had a doctor miss something during a colonoscopy?

Thanks!

Carolyn

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carolyn

I have been on this forum for some time now. Just a quick review, I had similar issue with large amounts of blood and mucus discharge for one and half years. Finally, I cut on gluten and substituted with rice / corn based food and I was cured. Recently, I developed a bad flu, and I was forced to take strong anti biotics. After one year of clear stool, small amounts of blood starting to discharge again. I can clearly relate to damge caused by medication, and based on my research, a reduction in the good bacteria in the colon. So I am taking pro biotics, and gluten free diet. Another issue relating to high white blood count, from my research on the web, this is most likely caused by enlargement of porous holes in the intestine, causing some stool to get into blood stream. Body reacts, thinking it to be foreign bacteria, attacking the intestine. Hence high white blood cells, and inflamation of the colon, leading to bleeding.

As before, my advice is to try gluten free diet, for at least 2-3 weeks. 

Hope it works for you. 

• Posted

Hi Carolyn. your stool test - did they test for calprotectin? this can determine if there is inflammation going on in your large & small bowel.  your symptoms & family history do point more towards uc or crohns.   x

• Posted

By the way, after colonoscopy, 3 years ago, I was told I had Proctitis, which there is answers in the science of medicine, even though I cured it with diet.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.