Can you feel a hiatal hernia? Breathing problems and increased heart rate when sitting

Posted , 8 users are following.

About 2 months ago I got into the car and felt my hear rate increase.

It was also tough to breathe not that I couldn't breathe but it just didn't seem right.

Went to urgent care the next day and they thought it was allergies which it wasn't.

Everytime I got into the car I had the same symptoms unless I took Advil. 

I went and saw my PCP the following week and during the visit they said my pulse was 118.

They did an ekg and everything came out normal.  Told me to come back in 2 weeks and to keep using ibuprofen.

I also did a 24 hr holter which came back normal for pulse.

During the next 2 weeks I had breast bone pain almost like food stuck and also throat tightness. 

When I went back to the doc they diagnosed me with GERD even though I have never had GERD symptoms before.

Took Prilosec for 3 weeks and seemed pretty good even though my pulse  was around 94.

Today I got in the car and same symptoms.  I checked my pulse and it was 120 and I also had to stretch out my torso to breathe without discomfort. 

I read something about the vagus nerve do we think that could be the culprit?

I also occasionally feel a knot like strain under my left rib cage and sometimes a stiffness there. 

I am at a loss going for an echo tomorrow to rule out Heart issues 100% but considering this only happens when driving I find it strange.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi John I get this alot it's scary stuff don't know how many times iv been to a& e and had ambulance thought was taking heart attack once they do the trace they send you on your way as if your crazy feel so stupid... I had more bloods done yesterday see what they c, I can handle the hard tummy n bringing up foam n stuff but get totally freaked out when I get chest pains and as u said yes can still breathe but it's different and scary. Hope u get answers quicker than me lol

• Posted

Hi. I seem to have similar problems. I have a small 3cm HH which doctors say won't cause problems however I beg to disagree. I too have breathing problems, palpitations and a racing heart. I haven't associated it with sitting but I think your right, mine seems to happen more when lying down and sitting. Heart and lung tests all fine and because it doesnt happen everytime its difficult to replicate during tests. I have been suffering now for over 2 years

• Posted

I am having similar issues. I had chest pain 3 times when I was drinking coffee and eating chocolate in Feb. 2016. Haven't had any since I stopped both. But foam in throat palpitations anxious feeling. My normally low blood pressure spiking. I get what feels like either a drop in BP or raise after driving sometimes. Having these symptoms for about three weeks after doing heavy weight lifting and jumping exercises. Have I thrown my whole system off? Do I have an HH? As I have said one Dr. thinks I have GERD I have resisted taking PPI. Wearing a thirty day event monitor and hopefully will get to the root cause. Best,

• Posted

plz leme know if u find any answers, im in a similar situation
    • Posted

Iv been like this from Feb Christine and getting no where fast... Do u get out of breath just going up and down stairs in the house, bending to do washing mopping even can't tie the kids shoes I feel my stomache going up into my chest get breathless aww it's a nightmare.. I tested positive 3 month ago for hpylori done the triple antibiotics bit had to hold in another stool sample there on Tuesday.. I'm booked for abdominal scan next sat hopefully c something I'd be delighted if they found something that way can start te deal with it.. If not to get the endoscopy.. Hope u guys are feeling better soon, I can be fine one day and away the next.. Also had a anxiety attack first time in ma life was scary thought was heart attack x

• Posted

I don't care what the doctor tells you this has everything to do with your hiatal hernia. My heart and blood has been tested in every way you can imagine. Going for echo test next week. Doctor was saying I have depression, anxiety, which is not the case I can't even walk around the block without being winded and I'm sure that it has everything to do with the irritation if my hiatal hernia and the vagus nerve being effected I'm an active, healthy, 36 y/o female and I've never had any major health problems until this. I'm trying holistic measures first, dieting, stretching, and chiropractor because I cannot exerciser even if I wanted to bit if all else fails I will consider surgery.

Additional symptoms: shortness of breath

Chest pains below sternum

Nausea after eating some times without eating (daily)

Excessive gas and burping (gives relief)

Stomach feels like it's in chest

Food feels like it passes through several chambers before entering stomach

I can feel digestion

Loud Gurgling sounds when digesting

Bloating

Full after eating a few bites

Racing heart

• Posted

Ugh...horrible situation for you- glad you are sticking to your guns and trying to heal yourself.

I haven't done any running just walking this week and a lot of juicing- feeling better.

All best,

• Posted

Aww Tina I'm so glad u posted.. Thought was going crazy lol... I have all what u have mentioned and still no diagnosis.. Got abdominal scan this morning haven't slept a wink, just want to get to the bottom of it.. I'm 41 with two kids always on the go but this breathlessness is really getting me down.. Actually bursting into tears ( when alone) just can't get things done the way I used to, iv always been a 10/12 in clothes now I'm 2/14 n as u said a couldn't exercise if I wanted to cannot bend.. Hope u get sorted soon I'll keep u posted what happens at hospital today

Luv fee xx

• Posted

Hi John65676,

After four years of complaining to doctors and increasing symptoms of SOB, exercise intolerance, difficulty eating due to nausea and feeling full all the time, mysterious bleeding needing blood and iron infusions, sternum bone tender and pushed out as if my organs are, and loss of 20 pounds which I struggle to regain, I've just been diagnosed by barium swallow is a large paraesophageal hiatal hernia also known as Type 3. Only 5% of hiatal hernias are this type.

I can't see what I'm writing very well on this site ! I'll try to go on a bit about the symptoms, but you all should just look it up.

Because hiatal hernias are common, est. 50% of people over 50, docs commonly prescribe the PPIs. They did me, even though I do not have GERD. Yes, I have shortness of breath, nausea, attacks of spasms or cramping of my diaphragm, like dry heaves only rhythmic and very painful.

Vivia

• Posted

dang can't write on here. it has taken four years and I am very debilitated and on 24/7 oxygen. commonly misdiagnosed, mine was. most docs are not aware of type 3

want to clarify that most hh are simple sliding type, a/k/a type 1.

Paraesophageal HH which are causing symptoms are very different animal: they are dangerous, and need attention. please look it up, info is easy to find. I hope this helps people avoid my extreme situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.