Pip tribunal won, but dwp have requested statement of reasons!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone could give me so advice plz.

I won my pip tribunal 12th Oct 16 but I have had a letter from dwp saying they have requested statement of reasons.

I am fully aware they have as much right to appeal as i do but I'm just wondering what are the chances of it going to UTT. Do many cases go to UTT or is it a delay tactic as I have read on other forums?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Sarah, I personally have not come across a situation were the DWP have rejected the tribunals decision, I'm thinking that thats what it means, can I ask the health issues you have that you claimed under, welcome to the site

• Posted

Hi AlexandriaGizmo,

Thank you for your reply,

i have claimed due to mental health issues that I have had since I was a teenager. I suffer from bipolar disorder. The tribunal awarded me highest daily living rate and standard mobility.

I have called dwp and they haven't said they are definitely appealing nor have they said they are not appealing. I also asked them if this was unusual for them to ask for a statement of reasons and they said absolutely not it's very common. Just getting very anxious and stressed about it all.

• Posted

The DWP, as is the government, very concerned that up to about 60% of PIP decisions made are being reversed by the Tribunals. This flies in the face of the DWP having had at least two goes at making a decision (the original one and a review under MR).

Either the DWP are useless at their job or the Tribunals are having new evidence presented to them that the DWP have never seen.

It is a known fact that over 75% of those overturned decisions made by the Tribunal are down to the oral evidence given to them by the claimant.

How are the DWP trying to rectify this?

First of all they are strongly supporting the case that in the future (hopefully in 2017) no claimant will be allowed to sit in front of a Tribunal. Instead most cases will be decided by written legal submissions. It is a maybe that the judge might telephone the claimant and may use Skype. The DWP are hoping that that will drastically reduce the overturned decisions rate. On top of that, in the interim, the DWP are taking on board an initial 86 qualified ‘prosecutors’ to attend the current hearings. They will be there to put the DWP’s reasons as to why they are right and have the powers to cross examine the claimant in front of the judge.

The DWP by looking at the reasons why their decision has been changed want to know how they can feasibly change that decision and if they can’t what measures they can take that will stop these revised decisions being made in the first place (hence the changing of the Tribunal system and bringing on board ‘prosecutors’ that will want to discredit the claimant and the oral evidence they give).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.