Pain relief

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can I ask at what point can you expect to be fully off all pain medication following tkr.

7 weeks post op now. Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathy

Everyone is different I was off my codeine within 2 wks only on paracetamol occasionally ( u should try 2 save your strongest till night )

Take Care

Rob x

• Posted

Hi Cathy

I am now 8 weeks and 4 days post op and all I take now is 1 dyhdracodiene some nights when I feel that I have overdone it too much during the day. I don't seem to get a lot of pain now but sometimes it is uncomfortable and I rest it and put ice packs on it. We will all get there it just seems to take a long time.

• Posted

Hi - I was off at 5 weeks but from what I can see it is very different for us all.

All the best - oh I am in my 8th week post op TKR.

• Posted

Cathy,

I am 6 weeks since the TKR and still need pain pills to get through the night. Nothing during the day but the knee aches just enough nights to keep me awake. I take a sleeping script nightly and a pain pill. Still only sleep for a few hours at a time in a recliner or on a couch. Can't handle a bed or full covers yet. Sadly, this is part of the process. That is why I am awake at this time. Nights are depressing.

That's my reality.

Dan

• Posted

Also lots of ice too
  • Posted

I aree with all the replies.  I am now almost 7 mos post.  Cannot totally remember when I was off the meds, but I feel I was still taking them to sleep well.  Patience is

the key, a long recovery.  Good luck and best wishes.  Barbara

• Posted

Hi Cathy!

I got off the opioids after two weeks. They made me feel very loopy, didn't help all that much with pain, and actually did a LOUSY job helping with my swelling.

Ibuprofen worked SO much better for me!

On a side note...I discovered that once my knees felt good again following my two TKRs (June and October 2015), my OTHER arthritic parts began screaming!😵 Back, wrists, shoulders, hips, fingers...ACHING!😱 Ibuprofen every six to eight hours keeps me going.

Getting old (I'm 65) is DEFINITELY NOT for sissies!😊

• Posted

As you can see, everyone is different.  Guidelines...

-  Get off the opiods as soon as you can but NOT before you can do without them.  Titrate down slowly and...

-  Substiture a non-narcotic (Tramadol, Ibuprophin 800mg TID, NSAIDS. etc.), but...

-  A lot of the OTC meds can cause stomach problems if taken long term so there is no real path in contant medication.

Most people are off the opioids in the 30-60 day range, some sooner...some later.  Also, most people are completely off all meds by the 6-month mark, most sooner than that.  It's very individual.  Then substitute topical Volraten Gel (RX) for any residual pain.

Personally, I'm at 7 1/2 months with zero pain...well maybe a little Voltaren Gel on the occasional night...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.