Ectropion on cervix... can anyone help really anxious😢

Posted , 4 users are following.

Posted earlier but not much response... just wondering if anyone has a cervical ectropion and if its related to cervical cancer??? So scared, my doctor isnt concerned at all but im worried sick and think im going to ask her to refer me to have it looked at. Any input would be helpful x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ectropions are not cancerous. Sometimes they can cause some bleeding after sex. Fairly normal and often incidental finding, no need to be referred to hospital. I assume you are up to date with your cervical smears and have never had problems with them before. 

If you are using the combined oral contraceptive pill this can be responsible. 

Often they clear up on there own. 

aa

• Posted

Hiya thanks for reply... i went to the doctor originally because my period was 4days late, she did a preg test and was negative (i knew it would be) then she said she would do an internal. After she had done it she said everything looked fine... she said i just saw a graze on your cervix. Oh my god i crapped myself when she said that, she said its nothing to worry about but im petrified ive got CC😢. Yes im upto date with smears and i did ask if she could bring it forward as im not due for 12months... she said no😢. But now i dont feel right down there and i feel like im getting lower stomach pains/ crampings. Ive read so much online that its mistaken for an ectropion and its turned out to be CC, i do have bad health anxiety so its on top notch right now... cant stop crying xx sorry for the rant haha im just so scared x

• Posted

Oh im not on the pill either as it messed me up so stop taking that well over 12months ago... i do use condoms at the mo x
  • Posted

Its not related to cervical cancer. Its when the cells on the inside of the uterus develop on the outside ie the cervix. It can be caused by hormones [natural and artificial] and pregnancy. It is very common and is linked to some kinds of bleeding especially after sex.   Treatment if necessary is usually by painting with a silver nitrate solution or by cauterisation.      If its not causing you any problems ie bleeding or pain,dont worry.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply... i didnt know i had it till the doctor did an internal. I had slight brown discharge about 2months ago mid cycle, didnt think anything of it. I dont bleed after sex or anything, went to the doctor this morning and was in tears and asked her to refer me to gyne. I do have REALLY REALLY bad health anxiety... i have strange feeling down below now like ive got a water infection but i havent if u know what i mean?😕. I dont know if there is something wrong like cancer or if its all in my head😢. Ive finally agreed to try antidepressant as i dont know what to do anymore... i have two beautiful children and a fantastic partner but this health anxiety is really taking its toll on every aspect of my life😢 xx

• Posted

Another thing that bothered me about this ectropion was ive never been told ive had it before... i have had smears in the past and an internal and nothing has ever been mentioned. So scared its going to be something sinister xx
    • Posted

Maybe it hasnt been mentioned because you havent had any bleeding or discharge in the past. as I said,its quite common. Your doctor is trying to give you an honest explanation of what has caused the brown discharge,and I think you have jumped to conclusions that it could be cancer. We women always think the worst I'm afraid and it sounds as though you are really  suffering bad anxiety. Why not have a chat to your doctor to see if she/he will refer you to a gynaecologist. It should reassure you.     By the way,I had this identical problem several years ago and had the cervix cauterised. No further problems. Please dont worry. 

• Posted

Hi ive had slight brown discharge about 2months ago mid cycle which i didnt really bother about. I dont have mid cycle bleeding or bleeding after sex... she just found it doing an internal. I went bk to her yesterday and asked her to refer me to gyne and she said she would but only for my piece of mind, not because she thinks i need to be referred. So you have had this then? So its definately nothing to do with cervical cancer? Im also giving antidepressants a go... ive tried to avoid them so much but yesterday i agreed to try them. Started them yesterday... just feel really sick haha😷 thankyou for messaging me bk i really appreciate it 😊 x

• Posted

What can I say? I am a year overdue to have my smear as I have spent all year focusing on my Dad instead who sadly died of cancer in May after a terribly sad and cruel battle. I know I should have my test and yesterday after sex I saw some blood (despite having a small tear which was bleeding and so probably the cause) so am now convinced I have cancer. It stops me cold at any point in the day and I can't think ahead as I imagine all the things that could be wrong with me. I am also struggling to look after my mum while hiding my own grief. I can only empathise and let you know you're not alone

• Posted

Rachel,please dont neglect yourself. We women tend to put everyone before ourselves but you owe it to yourself to get your smear done. So sorry to hear about your Dad and Mum. It sounds as though you are a star for looking after them. Give yourself a little "me" time. You deserve it. x

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I am new to this site and new to sharing my feelings, emotional or physical. I get comfort from knowing I'm not alone. I am 49 but until I met my bf 4 years ago I've had a very single life so quite inexperienced and any strange symptom or niggle causes concern. Ive been on medication for depression for several years but every so often something triggers an additional immense and unreasonable anxiety, generally about my health. And the mess don't seem to cut it any more. Seeing my Dad struggle for 18 months has had a dramatic effect on my mood and enjoyment of life. I'm not suicidal, I just question "why" all the time. Anyway, thank you again! Period is due (I think, as I am definitely getting some peri-menopausal symptoms too) so as soon as that is over I will be checking in to visit the nurse!

• Posted

Sounds as though you have a very sympathetic doctor. I'm guessing you are in UK?.   Depending on where you are you may have to wait sometime for an appointment...gynaecologists are always very busy....so taking the antidepressants may be good for your anxiety problems.    Do wait to see what the gynae has to say and dont stress yourself if they suggest a hysteroscopy. this is just an investigation where they look into the uterus /womb and is a  quite common investigation for ladies like you.

• Posted

Yeah im in the UK. My doctor does'nt think i need to see the gyne but i felt i should. I always worry about health things it drives me nuts... never used to be like this at all which is quite annoying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.