Can facial nerve problems affect eyesight?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having this weird issue with my right eye for about 3 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be improving. It all started when I suddenly felt pressure in the right side of my face starting from the ear and temple area and slowly moving towards my cheekbone. Then I started feeling constant pressure in my temple, cheekbone and sometimes chin. I have a tingling sensation as well. I sometimes get sudden burts of pain in my right ear and bizarre tingling in my right eye. My right eye cannot focus as well and vision is slightly blurred, also the eye is very dry. The doctors told me it could be facial nerve inflammation or neuropathy. I was given aspirin which didn't help at all. I also received some sort of physiotherapy, where the therapist performed an ultrasound therapy on me, running the machine over the nerve trunk in front of the tragus of ear and in area between mastoid process and mancible and on the temporal bone and chin. Is such ultrasound therapy safe to perform on such delicate areas? Moreover, I have also completely lost my sense of taste and partially lost my sense of smell since the beginning of the problem. Can the blurry vision and heavy feeling in one eye be linked to this current facial nerve issue I am having? Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? I assume your doctors are neurologists?
    • Posted

I am 17 years old, female. Haven't had any major health issues before. One of my doctors is an ophtalmologist and the other is my GP. My ophtalmologist told me it could be the case but she wasn't certain. I wasn't given a definite answer.

• Posted

That pretty much rules out one thing - you simply are far too young.

I think you have to trust your ophthalmologist - but maybe ask about referal to neurology.

I do hope someone finds you an answer very soon. Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.