Surgery on shoulder

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having shoulder surgery in 3 weeks. Any advice for showers? Girls any advice on how to get rid of armpit hair? Repair rotator cuff.

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get it waxed beforehand smile You won't be able to move your shoulder much anyway, so you won't notice the hair much.

I took a lot of baths, but didn't soak the shoulder area and washed my hair in the sink or went to a salon to have a blowout.

• Posted

Yes, I epilate my legs, arm, and under arms about one a month...goes back in much lighter with less and less returning each time.

My shoulder replacement will be mid February.

I will be thinking of you!

kind regards

judith

• Posted

You'll have a bulky sling to use for 6 weeks and it won't be suitable for showers. I got a triangular cotton bandage and made it into a sling and used that for shower time. I am just over a week post rotator cuff surgery and I think I could probably have a shower now without a support sling. The first couple of days I just did a flannel wash with a basin as I didn't want to put any stress on the repair at all.

• Posted

HONESTLY how is the pain afterwards? I'm a college student, how long roughly is a good estimate of how long I would be out?

• Posted

Hi had my total reverse shoulder replacement on October 3, this was actually a revision.  So it is now 3 weeks since my surgery and I have little to no pain.   The first day or so after surgery I had pain but it actually was not as bad as it was before my surgery.  This was my 2nd shoulder replacement.  My left shoulder was done on May 2, 2016 and I did extremely well and that is why I decided to have my right shoulder done on October 2, the doctor did say the left one was worse and I also had a tear in my rotator cuff on that one.   After both surgeries the pain was much less than before surgery.   Good luck and I am sure you will do great.   Just do as your doctor instructs and you should be fine.  
    • Posted

I was offered a nerve block just prior to surgery and that kept me pain free for 12 hours. Discharged the next day with morphine based medication and the only bad night I had was the first one and that was just a few hours. Today, for instance, I have had no pain medication. I just take a couple of 5mg endone to sleep at night but could probably ditch them as well now. I sleep in a reclining chair as laying flat in a bed aggravates things.
    • Posted

You just can't sleep on the side of the surgery.   Some people sleep on a recliner chair until you are out of the immobilizer at 6 weeks.  I personally have slept in my bed but I sleep on my back.   I normally sleep on my side but when the pain was really bad befor my surgery I found sleeping on my back helped.  

• Posted

Not sure what you all need to have done in your shoulder. THE first 3-4 daysdays consisted mainly of sleeping away the pain. After that, the pain let up "some", and I was able to take a different pain pill that didn't make me so sleepy. Slept in a recliner for about 3 weeks, and still used it after that when I would wake up halfway through the night in pain. I only had 1 anchor for a torn supraspinatis tendon, as well as some spurs and some other "clean up" done. I don't know what you are having done, although I am pretty much "healed", my only pain now is while I am still exercising that shoulder, swimming and working on strengthening those rotator cuff muscles. Its a long process. MAKE sure you get instructions for any arm movements you should or should not be doing after surgery. Like opening and closing your hand and whatever. Letting your arm hang..etc.rotator cuffs that are torn off the bone need time to heal back onto the bone so don't rush that. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Richella,

Thank you for this response. My surgery is a reverse total replacement in mid February.

Off to secure a recliner...Thank you!

judith

• Posted

Ask pre op about when you can take a shower. SHAVE well before surgery. I was able to let my arm "hang" during a shower , just enough where I could get the razor to shave a couple weeks after. IT isn't like anyone will see it. wink sure was good when I was able to do that. My husband washed my hair with the sprayer at the kitchen sink. My recliner was a life saver for sleeping. Your body will tell you what you can handle. Have all your little goodies on a table by the recliner. PHONE charger, lap top or whatever you use. Nice insulated water mug. IT makes one feel more self sufficient. Elastic pants...wink good luck....! HUgs

• Posted

Hi,

I live with Ziggy, a yorkie, and CharlieGirl, a white winged pocket parrot...will that be a problem after surgery?

And how long in the hospital?

And how long before you could hold and drink a cup of coffee?

Because I just had an elbow replaced. I am pretty good as a lefty as long as I don't have to write. Okay, maybe the eyeliner is a bit thick...lol

Hope you all heal quickly and fully,

judith

• Posted

Lol, I meant elastic waist slacks. wink easier to do initially by yourself. I did not have an immobilizer, just a sling, again, it's going to depend on how long you can't move your arm due to the repair. Stretch bras you can pull up and button up tops are nice because you can't raise your arm.

• Posted

My Dr already told me ill be in an imbolizer due to my shoulder. I get very itchy going 3 days not shaving, I can't imagine 3 weeks. rolleyes

• Posted

It's a struggle not being able to shave. Very itchy now. My 3 year old had been very helpful and actually understanding "don't touch mommy's booboo" . When I'm struggling to move he says "nanny. Mommy needs help" and he will pull on my good arm gently. Or if I drop something he goes "here mommy. You dropped this"

• Posted

I love your son...what a kind, thoughtful boy...mom did a nice job teaching him these skills..
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm very impressed cause he's 3 years old in 2 weeks. Normally he's not like this either. But I do teach him the proper skills.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.