My 6 year old son has granuloma annulare, now screening him for diabetes anyone heard of this befor

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 6 year old son was diagnosed last year with granuloma annulare, after having a funny patch on his foot. he's now developed one on his hand too.

Went to see dermatologist again and they've now decides they want to screen for diabetes. I'm really concerned as I was originally told by dermatologist that G.A was a harmless condition, no treatment needed etc etc and now they've said this.

I dread to think what he's guna go through as he grows older if we can't get this condition under control. :-(

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was diagnosed about 9 months ago and the dermatologist said there were links to diabetes in the past but there is not enough research to link the two together now.As for your dermatologist saying there is no treatment needed for GA there are tonnes of treatment options Finding one that works seems to be the issue I am finding.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying :-)

The problem is the dermatologist has discharged him now but the more research I'm doing it the more concerned I'm getting.

After the first appointment I wasn't overly concernd but since the second one I'm starting to panic.

Even if it's not a "serious condition" surely there's something out ther that can help or treat these annulomas. I'm just concerned at the psychological impact it may have on him at school etc.

• Posted

Hi lisa,

I am sure the diabetes test is just a precaution and granuloma annulare in kids almost always goes away fairly quick.

Hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks for replying,

He had the one on his foot for almost a year before he saw the dermatologist, he was treated for ring worm etc ( seems a typical misdiagnosis from what I've read) for months before we went to the hospital. Then it seems as one has cleared up another has started..

It's a very strange condition :-/

• Posted

Lisa

I would get him a referral for a pediatric rheumatologist, just to keep an eye out for anything peculiar. That is just my

• Posted

I have Type 1 Diabetes (diagnosed at age 1) and I started experiencing GA around age 16. My endocrinologist said GA is common in people with diabetes, but neither one causes the other. I sure hope your son does not have diabetes, but it's always good to be tested as a precaution. I've met a lot of people with diabetes that went undiagnosed/misdiagnosed for years and that can lead to complications. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.