Worried about Mum's persistent choking cough

Posted , 3 users are following.

Mum's nearly 83 and has A-Fib and Vascular dementia. For the last 2 weeks she's had the return of a persistent cough which is very loose. She has coughing attacks where she can almost choke and on Friday coughed so much that mucus was pouring from her nose and mouth....it didn't help that she was out at the time and was very embarrassed. Dad got her to the GPS the next day and she was seen by a nurse who has advised lemon and honey! She did examine her apparently (I was away)

What worries me is the persistence of this cough but she shows no sign of illness otherwise. Sleep is being affected for them (my 85 yr-old dad) both but Mum doesn't recall how bad it's been . Last year her GP prescribed anti-biotics and an x-ray show dsigns of pneumonia.

Its been suggested it could be nasal drip but what is the best way to try and suppress this constant tickling cough? I worry about the stress on her heart too.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Andrea! Please get a Doctor to Visit your elderly Mum asap! I know that you're worried as I am a carer myself.! With the winter round the corner,I wouldn't take a chance.! Please update as soon as possible! Regards Amanda

• Posted

Thanks Amanda. I am awaiting a call-back from the GP this afternoon. Mum is still 'ok' in herself but is very snotty and you can tell the tiredness is telling on her. THE coughing is still there of course but she's not had an attack (like the really bad one I described) since. THE trouble with her condition is that she can't use inhalers/nasal sprays etc as she just can't understand how to operate them despite someone trying to instruct her step-by-step. SHE was unable to complete a lung capacity test in spring despite a VERY patient nurse 😐

• Posted

Could it be the drugs she take for the A-Fib?  My  82 year old mom also has wet cough... especially when she eats  (?) and lies down.   He lungs are clear. She, too, has a runny nose.   I'm guessing it's the Amiodarone. She'd also developed nose bleeds from the Eliquis (which we have stopped)..... and he nose was packed once with a balloon. Am thinking it could be that which triggereed all the problems..... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.