Numbness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm fairly newly diagnosed and don't have a very good or supportive rheumatologist. I have noticed a couple of areas around inflamed joints where the skin has lost all its sensation. I can't feel a thing on the skin surface. One area is around the big toe and the one is around a knuckle. It's just the skin around the joint that has gone completely numb. It's permanent - or constant - and has been a problem since before I started treatment so I know it's not medication-induced.

Does anybody else have this and is it a cause for concern? I can see how swelling might compromise a nerve, but the numbness persists after the inflammation has gone. My big toe feels like it's just died.

I'm a woman in my late 30s.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi leicester i have been gettin numbness of late on my pinkie and finger next to it on my right hand i dont know if its to do with my RA hope someone can shed some light on this for me as well..
  • Posted

I believe that changed sensations with RA fall into the THATS EXPECTED range.

The swelling puts pressure on the nerves, just like when you rest on your elbow for a few minutes your hand and lower arm will go numb, trapped/crunched nerve.

Depends how badly trapped nerve is, if it will heal up and feeling come back, but don't expect it to happen quickly, nerves heal extremly slowly.

• Posted

HI.. ....have you tried going to your gp... They might be of some help.... It's sucks that your rheumatologist isn't that great . ....i can't fault any of my rheumatology team... They are so great... But anyway. I also have numb skin on my very swollen fingers... It comes and goes.. But can take weeks or months I've noticed x

• Posted

Yes, had the sane experience...8I am 65 with 54 living despite. the damnable juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

A neurologist would be a good beginning.

Also, if your rheumatologist does not have time for you...find a new one. preferbly one associated with a university hospital.

Chin up...you will make some very great friends here

Kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you. I do want to change rheumatologists but I worry a new one might be even worse.
    • Posted

and ifcthe new one is worse, you change again.. you wouldn't take your car to a bad mechanic. ...

• Posted

While it's true that it can all be blamed on things expected in RA, you should also be aware of other causes that need to be treated, such as carpal tunnel or nerve damage from undiagnosed diabetes.  Numb feet, toes are hallmarks of diabetes left untreated.  Probably not the case with you, but it's a reason to have a gp as well as a RA doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.