Pain Management Clinic Appointment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Any one help with this i have a pain management appt in 2 weeks, i have been given very little to no info on what will happen, no xrays or mri been done either.

Any one had an experience of this type of appt, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

i will add it is for long term back pain with scolosis too.

thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I attended pain management clinic a few years ago. All they did was discuss your medication to see if it's helping.  If it's not I think they write to your GP to change your meds. They will discuss your pain etc. Didn't do me any good. 

Good luck dawn.

• Posted

I am assuming that you are willing to take pain pills then. Whether you get any will depend on where you live and who your doctor is. But he/she will first try non opiate options first. That's actually strongly recommend by the CDC. But before you get on any meds with them they will ask you to sign a contract with them. These contracts are very common. They will basically say that you can't use illegal drugs, or alcohol, if your on opiates you'll to submit to a drug test, some doctors do a monthly pill count, all this and more will be on the contract and it says that if you break the rules you will be terminated from their service. Most PM doctors see their patients monthly I think. Mine does but that's to do a pill count and pick up my next month's prescription. Most PM doctors also do injections. Have you had any in your back? I was having my doctor doing a couple of those per year for a while and then I just stopped. But I'm scheduling one soon. Sometimes they work a little sometime not at all and once an injection took all my pain away for about 4 months. But occasional a person has a bad reaction to the injection. I've heard stories.

I hope this helps some. Good luck on you appointment. I've been seeing my PM for more then four years.

• Posted

I honesty saw a pain management doctor

Who was arrogant. I could have a injection it back ( for my foot), or nerve pills or live with it.

My suggestion was I want to continue with Physical therapy to strengthen my weak muscles , then decide.

First see what they say get all the information and you write too.

Ask questions ; how long will his or her procedure last, side effect

Other options.

Only you advocate for you not your health carrier.

I'm from Massachusetts not sure where you are

• Posted

He sucks. He is not a true pain doctor. Not if he doesn't prescribe pain meds too. I've been with a doctor like that before. They will sell you on all kinds of injections but they will stop short of actually prescribing what you really need to treat the chronic pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.