NSAIDs and Water Retention

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone - 

I am just curious as to whether others have experienced fluid retention while on Naproxen. I take 500mg 2x daily - started last week  - and I can't get my rings off my fingers (at least not easily).  Sent a message to my doctor but am interested in the experience of other folks as well.

Thanks in advance!

Pam

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Morning Pamela;  I can't say "it was Water Retention";I Do know that when I was 1st put on Brufen (same med), my extremities would swell up within a few hours....my feet especially. Another lady also told me how she put on weight/fluid ALL over her body.  So yes, I do think you are correct in assuming that the Naproxen is causing your fingers to swell.

?                                                                       Bronredface

• Posted

I read that I need to drink more water and up my potassium.  Will try that.  I just looked on Drugs.com and it said a common side effect of Naproxen is swelling of the hands and feet. Didn't think to look there - too obvious maybe!

eek

• Posted

Yes, I think Naproxen did give me water retention. Helped the pain tremendously but also gave me tummy ache.
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

Yes, absolutely...I wiuld float if it were not for the 25 mg of Lasix daily ..try reducing your salt intake ..no more delicious salty potato chios.. I now use ultra chocolate ice cream...chuckle

kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Boo!  Especially during pumpkin season - delicious salty roasted seeds.  I'll have to try the chocolate cure, for sure!

• Posted

I take naproxen and it didn't effect my hands. But as times gone on my hands do swell up this thing in the morning and takes a good hour for them to deflect so to speak and be able to grip things. But this is due to Arthritis that's now gone to my hands. I've been taking Naproxen for st least 18/24 months now, hope this helps and good luck with finding out the problem. Oh one last thing have you thought it might be due to cold weather?

• Posted

Don't ya just hate the Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage thing!!

Try compression gloves...hold hand above your heart for 30 seconds...keeping your hand up, put the glove on. In 20-30 minutes you will laugh at just how slim your fingers are...

Hope you feel better soon

judith

• Posted

Thanks Angie - It has been colder lately.  I will see if there is a pattern.
  • Posted

Can you take water pill to help ? Ask your doctor to much fluid build up is a side effect of medications.
    • Posted

Hi Hope - 

Brillian minds think alike.  I did but haven't heard yet.  I wanted to be sure to run it past him before taking a diuretic,

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

I agree with Hope...remember that not enough fluid is also a bad thing

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.