Colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

They want me to have another colonoscopy I had one 5 years ago due to hemorrhoids I've had them removed now the want me to have another one it's all changed now you have to starve over 24 hours what will happen if I don't have it done apart from being removed from the list help and advise greatly appreciated

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What is the reason for a colonoscopy??

A followup colonoscopy for hemoirrhodectomy seems radical as simple stool tests sound sufficient to me.  Or is there another reason for a colonoscopy?

• Posted

You havnt said your age or any symptoms?
  • Posted

Hi, I had a colonoscopy last year and everything was fine. My GP told me I wouldn't need another for 5 years, unless my symptoms changed. He said the 5 year interval is standard practice given my age ( over 55 ) so perhaps that is the reason for you being invited for another colonoscopy. 

I wasn't required to starve for 24 hours, just not eat after 6.00pm on the evening before the procedure. 

Jan

• Posted

Doctors now have you only have clear liquids, or jello such as lemon or lime nothing with red dye in it the day before your procedure.

If everything is good then they have come back in 5 yrs then again in five. If all is still good then you go to ten yrs.

• Posted

The trend now is to do it again in 5 yrs to make sure all is good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.