Decreased folds in duodenum but biopsy showed villi

Posted , 2 users are following.

The endoscopy I had showed decreased folds in my duodenum witch was suspicious for celiac but the biopsy showed that I had villi....

I have been gf for you yrs because gluten makes me so sick I vomit and get diarrhea And bad stomach pain and bloating. When I went gf 6 yrs ago Doctors didn't run any tests at all they just told me to try it and it worked....

Iv been having other issues with foods and doctors cant figure out why. But I had the endoscopy that showed that and was curious why my folds would be decreased...

Can villi grow back and not the folds?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

I do beieve I have heard that; not everyone heals from CD completely.

Or maybe trace amounts are still getting into you.  if they are still folded then you

are still not getting nutrition and likely getting allergies to foods. I can't eat most

food and never processed. All i can eat now is eggs/meat, cooked veggies, 3

fruits and nut and seeds.  Nothing raw.  No diary, no sugar . . . you get the picture.  

I would make sure you have all gluten out of your diet, maaaaybe there is

soemthing, I don't know how careful you are

I pray you are just missing it getting in somewhere;  you are not healing

completely.

I hate this disease. I really do.

• Posted

I don't get it... I can't have sugar or dairy. I am careful with it I think. They can't figure out what's going on test been coming back negative

• Posted

i hope they find out soon.  I had to do a food journal to see what was upsetting my tummy. the more damage, the more allergies. 

may i ask how old you are? 

• Posted

i just looked this up.

Gastrointest Endosc. 2000 Jun;51(6):717-20.All that scallops is not celiac disease.Shah VH1, Rotterdam H, Kotler DP, Fasano A, Green PH.Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Scalloping of duodenal folds as well as a mosaic mucosal pattern, decreased folds, and increased vascularity are markers of duodenal mucosal injury, the most common cause being celiac disease. We have recognized scalloping in patients with a variety of conditions other than celiac disease.

METHODS:

Clinical, endoscopic and histologic data were reviewed from selected patients with endoscopically visualized scalloped folds along with testing for endomysial antibodies. Biopsy specimens were examined histologically for villous:crypt ratio, intraepithelial lymphocytes, and inflammation.

RESULTS:

Thirteen patients with scalloped folds underwent endoscopy for the following reasons: family history of celiac disease and osteoporosis, gastrointestinal bleeding, dyspepsia (2), B(12)/ folate deficiency (4), and diarrhea (8). Histologic examination was abnormal in all but 1 patient. Villous atrophy or flattening as evidenced by reduced villous:crypt ratio was seen in 11 of 13 patients. Other abnormalities were edematous or broadened villi (10), intraepithelial lymphocytosis (7), and infiltration of lamina propria (6). An infectious organism was identified in 6 patients (46%). Celiac disease was excluded by the lack of specific biopsy findings combined with endomysial antibody testing. Final diagnoses were normal (1), eosinophilic enteritis (1), giardiasis (1), tropical sprue (4), human immunodeficiency virus-related diseases (6) including human immunodeficiency virus enteropathy (1).

CONCLUSION:

We conclude that scalloping is not specific for celiac disease but rather a predictor of mucosal disease as evidenced by villous atrophy, widening, and edema.

• Posted

Oh gee, I am sorry you are sick.  you are doing all you can. the docs will keep looking. 

I am 57

old lady 

are you in the US? I am.

• Posted

Hmmmmm very intresting... I know gluten is a issue because when I eat it I'm vomiting and diahrrea and abdominal pain and symptoms last a good 2 weeks. When I told my gi doctor this she said sounds like celiac and asked if I was ever tested I said no. They just told me to try this gf diet and all symptoms went away after a yr and stayed that way (unless ate something) for the next 5 yrs then all of a sudden in March things started going down hill.... I will never know if I have celiac tho because I have to eat it and my gi doctor said she's not even going to allow me to. I'm just realy confused and frustrated with my body right now...

They don't even know she told me today we contact through email to save my office visits but she told me thanks for what I'm doing and doing what ever i can to get healthy... but realy for this stool sample I did I ate every Tiger food I knew for it. Besides gluten...

The pains I get and the diahrrhea are not fun but I want to know what it is.. it's been going since march

• Posted

I don't get it the other day we made home made chili and I didn't get diarrhea from it but sure did my stomach hurt and was bloated

• Posted

it is likely you have CD or are allergic, my guess is there is some underlying issue, possibly another disease, like mentioned on that report.  

hugz

• Posted

beans are gassy, tomatoes are acidy, what else was in it? are the spices gluten free? 
    • Posted

Gi doctor said she's 99% sure I have it. But that's not why I went in first place so we are trying to figure that out... right now they think think it's my pancrease but lab work for lipase and amylase were middle range. They did stool fat tests and still waiting 4 that but I'm just preparing it's negative

• Posted

She put hamburger, beans, and gluten free chili package, tomatoes, umm onions, think that's it

• Posted

maybe the spices are too rich for you.  they use "natural" flavors, they always get me.  My doc said, "if it has a label, don't eat it."  are you familur with the gluten dude?

• Posted

So if it says gf don't eat it. I didn't know that.

She wants me to go to a dietition actually so my first appt is Nov 17th.. I can't gain weight for life of me. And no I'm not familiar with him

• Posted

I have to go for a little while, i am going to try and get some sleep. it's 10 pm oclock in WA. if i feel restless I will be right back.

yes, do not eat anything with a lable. cook all your food for the next 6 months and see how you feel.  give your body a chance to heal.

the only spice I used for 6 months was sea salt. bland but safe. i still eat that way. I am thin, but not skinny. 5 6 and 118-20. i actaully like being thin, i never was before I got sick. I look great, just wish i felt great! 

you are not gaining weight because you are not obsorbing. i hope cutting out helps!!! 

hugz

• Posted

That makes since. I will try that.. I am 5 1 and 90-95 lbs
    • Posted

oh dear yes, you are tiny.  how under weight are you?

I am not preaching, i just want to share what i do and how I prepare for eating "boaring". Maybe you can get some ideas. maybe you have some to share? i love making life easy when there are so many other better things to be doing smile like reading every effing label. 

3 to 5 times a day depending on hunger.  my plate consist of 2 chick thighs or one big breast, 3/4 plate veggies. i stay away from corn and soy because it is not organic and it is GMO, my veggies are as seasonal as possible and organic when possible.  i buy 25 squash at a time when they go in season on sale.  look on line to see what good prices are adn shelf life of each, estimate what i will need till the next season's veggies come in. i steam them, then cool and peel, have meal size glass pyrex with lids, label and freeze.

I bake two sheets of chicken at time, cool, baggy, freez'm in freezer bags. 

When I have enegy (i 3 have other diseases so have to use energy wisly) i cook large quantities at a time and freeze my home made "casseroles".  food is so broaring now.  SO SO boaring.  LOL

I hope in time that it gets easier for you young folk to eat out. i guess it was a blessing i didn't relize I had this disease until now, well a year and a half ago. I know I would not have handled it well.  You have to be strong. I am not. I often feel defeated.  I can't imagine how someone feels about it at your age and how you see your future. It sounds very hard and scary.  

I have had my share of panic about getting glutened. I think I made myself sick a couple times just with worry. 

Just make your food source as close to home and as clean as you can (organic when possible). That's really all anyone can do. It's expencive and not always possible.  Look up "the dirty dozen" veggies and fruits. 

I have been trying to find dry split peas that are gf organic and i have not had any luck. do you know of a source? I miss split pea soup. 

• Posted

I am ummm 15lbs under weight on. Good day they want me at 110... and I agree eating is "boaring" and very expensive

I am working part time now and going to school full time. So money is well tight...

At this point all I want is to be healed and not realy sure what my further looks like...

I also have lupus..

Umm as far as organic split peas I'm not sure but I will keep an eye out to see what when have around here.

• Posted

Thanks, Spilt pea soup is SO yummy on a sad tummy. 

They thought I had lupus or RA.  I was in and out of dr offices a lot when younger; after 40 yrs old,  I gave up on them all and stopped going, until i ended up in the Hosptal on life support. I figured eventually they will figure it all out, even if it is in an autopsy.

Death is a wonderful place. I was close, I saw my husband; nothitn else mattered at that point.  I know dying is a scary thought, but I guarntee it is a great place! You will love it when you get there.  This life is nothing in comparison! Try not to worry about that stuff.  

When I saw my husband, i felt no judgement. It was the most amazing feeling. i didn't want to come back, but the docs took over what nature had for me. People say things like "God is not done with oyu yet, you still have something to do" I say BS.  Haha!  

Because the flare is mostly gone, I can do stuff, so I may be off the computer for a couple few days, I have so much to do and little time to get it done.

Hang in there sweet lady.  💙

• Posted

i really do not know how much I weigh right now as I ahve not weighed in in severla months, but my close are fitting about the same so I guess it is ok. I is hard to gain weigh.  At 120, the doc said she would prefer to see me at 135. I don't htink so, i had a doughnut for a belly at that weight and it didn't taste good at all!  Before I got sick I was borderline obese "chubby".  I like my weight now, it feels right.  I am the shortest one in my family, at 5 6,all my femail siblings and mother are 5 9 and up, the men are 6 2 and up.  Are you shorter then the rest of your family? It is a common thing with CD. 

• Posted

Oh yes I'm alot shorter my mom is 5 6 I think dad Is around there also my brother is 6 4

And im 5 1 barley 5 1

• Posted

And that's ok I have alot to do this weekend also need to study for this exam. Just with all heath issues it's hard but on a positive note am learning about digestive system this chapter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.