Primary hsv-1 infection is excruciating

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 19 years old, never had a cold sore before but figured I probably at least had the virus in my body from childhood as my mom and grandmother have always got cold sores. I was with my boyfriend this past weekend who had a cold sore. I kisses him throughout the weekend which I know is stupid and I shouldn't have done. We're long distance though and it makes it really hard to not be able to kiss him when I finally see him. Long story short I got a cold sore on my bottom lip which has turned into at least 5 with an additional 2 on my top lip. They are under my tongue and on the inside of my lip too. I have an extremely painful sore throat with white spots and it feels like I'm swallowing glass. The first time I went to the dr he said it was strep throats and prescribed an antibiotic. Today, two days later I woke up in such awful pain I went to the emergency room and the dr there told me this is all hsv-1 because I'm an adult the primary infection can be severe- as in my case. He told me to stop the antibiotic and he prescribed an antiviral five times a day for 10 days but he said at this advanced stage it probably won't really do anything but it was worth a shot. My lip is still breaking out in new cold sores I don't even know how many there are now. I've been using abreva. The pain is like nothing I have ever felt in my throats. I haven't ate in 3 days as it hurts too bad and I can barely drink because everything burns the blisters in my throat and mouth so badly. Has anyone had a similar primary infection? If so how long did it last? I've read online this could take up to 1-6 weeks to go away and there is no way I can take this for that long.....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Going through exactly the same thing right now. Swallowing is excruciatingly painful, ulcers covering inside of lips, gums, underside of tongue and cheeks. High fever and feeling sick. Went to the doctor today and was told to buy Cold Sore medication (sold in packs of 3 tablets), took all 3 as prescribed.. hopefully clears up soon - finding it difficult to drink - let alone eat.. bright side - maybe some weight loss.. good luck with yours - hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

It's awful. I've lost 7.5 pounds so far.. I'd rather have the weight than have to go through this.. do you have cold sores on your outer lip too? I can't get them to stop.. it's like every morning there's a new one with the already existing ones. This is awful. I've been taking an antiviral 5 times a day but the doctor said it may have been too late for it to work. Tomorrow makes a week since the first one appeared and I don't know how much longer of this I can take. Good news is my doctor said this should never happen to the inside of the mouth or throat again- just the primary infection. After this they should reccur as regular cold sores on the lip thank goodness.

• Posted

I don't know gown much weight ive lost but I agree with you that this isn't the way I'd like to go about it. My appetite is still there but the thought of eating scares me because of the pain. I think I we are both experiencing the exact same symptoms. Every day - new ulcers, painful to even talk. I have them on my gums too and it's making my gums feel super sensitive. I really hope we both get over this soon. At this rate I feel like I'll never eat again...

• Posted

I am also going through this. Two weeks ago I kissed someone with cold sores (I didn't notice at that time.). A few days after that I got canker sores on my lip and got high fever, my gums got swollen and it was painful to eat. Two weeks after my mouth went back to normal but still I am having low grade fevers (around 99-100) nowadays. I take advil to cool it down. I will see a doctor again. How are you guys holding up? Are you guys also having low grade fevers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.