2 years ago I had a pulmonary embolism and now I have bad anxiety. Anyone else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I feel like I'm going to get another PE. Every time I feel pains or out of breath I get really bad anxiety and I start panicking. I still remember you symptoms and it drives me crazy that I think it's going to happen again. I've gone to the urgent care twice thinking I have it again when I really dont. I was wondering if anyone is going through the same thing? Worrying that it might happen again?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ivett

I am so sorry to hear of your worries.

I think all of us to a greater or lesser extent have the same concerns.

But if you are now off the meds and have give 2 years without another PE then you are probably in a good place.

If you are still on the thinner meds then you are unlikely to have another one.

Is there a support group in your area where you could talk to others in a similar situation rather than just medical staff?

Don

• Posted

Yes I will need to look into a support group. I guess my medical question would be is there something I can take? I'm no longer on blood thinners. I heard people taking aspirin. Does that help?

• Posted

Hi Ivette

i am about to face the same issue trying to come off Rivaroxaban.

I am looking into Nattokinase which has natural anti clot capabilities.

The other alternative is 75mg aspirin which after about 5 years helps to also protect against Bowel Cancer.

But as we are all different apparently it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

Stay strong

Don

• Posted

Hi Ivett yes I'm the same I had a massive PE in February this year and it's really scary that it might happen again. I'm still on Apixaban so it shouldn't but i Worry that if and when I stop taking it it could ! We have to stay positive .. regards Linda 

• Posted

Yes it's so scary. I will try and have positive thoughts because I feel like I'm going crazy!

• Posted

It's awful but I'm sure if you talked to your doctor he'll reassure you because it's a big deal xx

• Posted

Hi there!

I have developed major health anxiety because of my PE. I totally get it. I hope you get support from loved ones. My husband keeps me grounded and is reassuring.

Hang in there!

• Posted

I'm glad to hear that. My bf tells me it's all in my head which most likely it is. It's just so hard to not think about it!

• Posted

i totally understand how you feel and we are blessed if we have good hubby's we need all the help we can get ! I worry it'll happen again !

• Posted

I had bad health anxiety and my worst fear was getting a p.e- I got over the anxiety and recently spent a month in hospital over a day surgery done wrong and then developed 2 small p.e's in my lungs! I've been started on a high dose of blood thinners for around 5 days now but I'm terrified of getting another one!! Any pains or breathlessness I break out into a sweat thinking the worst! It really is awful but I'm trying to keep the anxiety under control as most of the breathlessness is probably me over thinking it!!

• Posted

Oh my gosh.....I'm so glad i stumbled upon this! I am the EXACT same way! Im 6months post C-section and PE, and I flip out like everyday, worrying that I've got another clot! Any time I have any kind of shortness of breath or chest heaviness.....my anxiety goes through the roof!! How long is this supposed to last?? (the chest soreness and shortness of breath) I see its been 2 years for you and that makes me worry that I'll never really get over the anxiety of it all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.