SVT and PAC?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone relate to me? I was diagnosed with SVT the doctors prescribed me on october 7th verapamil 120ml and it indeed slow my heart rate but the symptoms didnt go away 😟 my doctor told me since it isn't working for me stop it and I did on october 25th but I still feel PAC. I have my ablation November 3rd but till then I feel like crap. I don't like this feeling at all. My tight chest, shortness of breath, lightheaded etc it sucks I feel like I'm the only one who feels like this 😭

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Had the same feeling before my Ablation. The symptoms are not going to kill you, your just going to be uncomfortable. After the Ablation your going to be great. 2 years since my procedure and feeling great. .I'm sure you will as well.

• Posted

Thank you sooooooo much for your reply. It's reassuring reading somebody else experience with this besides me because no one I know or have meet heard or even experience it themselves. I'm glad you're doing great also

• Posted

You have an excellent chance of an actual cure, niya.  It was fun to read your positive and enthusiastic response to Tinkv.  It will also be fun to read your report of leaving your SVT behind.
    • Posted

Thank you I appreciate your comment and I sure will keep you posted smile

• Posted

Has your doctor discussed any techniques on how to control your episodes?
    • Posted

Eh, she told me do the vagal maneuvers and focus on my deep breathing and the deep breathing is very important when having irregular heart beats. Me personally find it difficult because I tend to hyperventilate
  • Posted

Niya, you might find that deep and slow breathing, with some breath-holding between breaths, would relax you noticably and help control your hyperventilation. Since I learned to do so, my anxiety during SVT has diminished tremendously, and I've not had an episode last for more than 10 minutes or so.  Usually, much less. Seems to work much better for me than valsalva.  I'm very pleased to see the encouraging comments being sent to you.  Take care.

• Posted

Thank you gene91169 for commenting again. Have you experience heart flutter and irregular heart beats as well, sometimes slow? If yes how long have you had those feelings. Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions it helps me understand that others have the same thing and deal with it. I had these feelings 3 months and still not use to it

• Posted

I began feeling premature contractions and flutters when  I was 18, niya (50 years ago).  They deeply scared me, even after physicians told me I had a healthy heart and was  in no danger.  I continued to be very active athletically and had a wonderful career as a Naval Aerospce Physiologist (including lots of time flying incredible aircraft), but your response to your challenges is very much like mine was and is. 

My heart rhythm problems gradually increased, and I had my first sustained SVT when I was about 40. I chose drug therapy (atenolol and now metoprolol) over ablation, since the later wasn't as promising then as it it now.  The drug helped, but I didn't do very well with anxiety related to my heart stuff until I went on Effexor about 20 years ago.  It has really helped, but the anxiety remains a challenge.

About five years ago, my SVT became a very frequent deal, and I wearied of ER visits for adenosine.  Also, I very much liked what I was reading about ablation.  I had mine done two years ago. Didn't work, since I have multiple "aberrant" pathways. I'm actually having more frequent SVT than before the ablation, but, as you might remember from my previous comments, I'm being very successful with breathing techniques to stop them.  I'm not happy with my situation, but a better sense of control is helping me with my anxiety.

Hope this helps.  I'm looking forward to hearing of your successes.  Take care.

Here's what I want for you.  First, get the best medical care available.  Believe those folks when they give you encoragement.  Believe us when we tell you your fears are normal and experienced by many, many SVT folks.  Do what you can to successfully deal with those fears.  Get help when you need it.  If you're a good candidate for avlation, expect it to actually cure you.  When that happens, allow yourself to feel very, very good about that cure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.