Back to Doctors next week

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have an appointment with the doctor next week to follow up on my blood pressure. What i could do with help with is, I wondered does high blood pressure cause damage to the kidneys or does ckd cause the high blood pressure. I have stopped ibuprofen & esomeprazole, I am being careful with what I eat so I am hoping my kidney function will have improved. Hope everyone is ok.

Fran

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

I'm interested to read the responses to this. Cutting the Ibuprofen helps considerably. My mom's creatinine level improved when she stopped certain meds, and ibuprofen was definitely among them. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will let you know what the verdict is when I get some results.
  • Posted

Kidney disease causes hypertension as the kidneys regulate blood pressure which in effect will result in heart disease if not treated in time. I have the dreaded Angina X Syndrome as a result of uncontrolled hypertension
    • Posted

Thanks Richard

I thought it may be that way as my bp had only started going up when the CKD came along.Sorry to hear about the Angina x syndrome.

• Posted

Hello Fran,

I think it is not entirely clear medically which of these is correct, or maybe both occur.  However, doctors have advised me to keep my blood pressure lower than 130/80 and not to take any anti  inflammatory medication like ibuprofen. I have followed this advice and although it took quite a lot of time to get the right blood pressure medication, my GFR has stayed steady at 24 for several years.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Lyn. I think I may be looking for the correct blood pressure meds next week.

Fran

• Posted

Good to hear things are stable for you.
  • Posted

Hi,

This is a bit of a which came first the chicken or the egg question.  High blood pressure does damage the kidneys without doubt, however high blood pressure is caused by the kidney's not working properly. Either way with CKD the blood pressure needs strict control let us know how you get on in the doctors next week x

• Posted

Thanks Helen. I will let you know. Hope you are doing ok. Fran x
    • Posted

Hi,

Not too bad another op next week to move the stent and my dialysis catheter, I cant wait eek x

• Posted

Hi Fran,

How did the doctors go x

• Posted

Hi Helen

It went ok. I have started this morning on 2.5mg of ramopril after five days I go up to 5.0mg. I have to go in a month for another blood test & urine ACR, then a week later back to see the GP. I'm hoping that my gfr will be a bit better now I have stopped the ibuprofen but time will tell. At least I feel like the GP is watching out for me now.

How are you doing? Hope all goes ok next week, will be thinking of you.

Fran x

• Posted

Hi Helen

I've been back for my blood test results & the good news is my kidneys have stabilised for now. Still trying out more medicine for the bp which is a little on the high side but grateful that gfr is ok. How are you. I hope you are ok.

Fran x

• Posted

My kidney failure was caused from severe hypertension. I have been on hemo dialysis for 4 years now. I am on 5 medications her hypertension but still my b/p levels get to 265/125 . Best of luck
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm worried about my bp even with the meds it seems to still be really high especially first thing in the morning. I had a problem yesterday where my right eye went bright red on the white part & the doc said it was probably my bp that caused it. Hope you can manage to get yours down, I try yoga breathing when mine feels really bad. It makes me feel like I am doing something. Good luck to you too.

• Posted

Have you considered taking your bp med at bedtime? 
    • Posted

Hello,

If the BP medication does not get your Bp down to an acceptable level, you can add medication.  I take 3 types of BP medication prescribed bt my doctor that has successfully kept my BP below 130/70 for years now. In the Uk it is recommended that you take up to 3 different drugs.  You just have to keep trying until you get it right. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely ask the doctor when I see him. Hope you are well. 

• Posted

Hi there. I did try taking my bp meds at night but started to get very dizzy spells whilst reading which stayed with me all night & into the morning. I'm now taking one pill in the morning & then one late afternoon which seem to have stopped the dizziness. Thanks for trying to help though. Any advice is great. x

• Posted

Sure thing...I hope you'll be feeling well, soon.  I know I appreciate everyone on this forum. I seem to get more answers here than from my mom's doctors.

My mom had the high blood pressure; the CKD came on  after years of it. And then came AFib. the med she temporarily took with the Afib (about 6 months) seemed to bring down her blood pressure (also, it couldn't be taken with the blood pressure med -- so we had to stop the blood presure med)... and later, when we stopped the AfiB med, her blood pressure has stayed low. Also, I notice that with lasix (furosemide), her blood pressure comes down. She just has to not take to much of lasix.. can dry out her kidneys if she gets dehydrated..... 

• Posted

Hi. I agree with you completely I don't know what I would do without this site, you get so much more help & information here than you do from the doctors. Your poor mom I thought my drug regimen was bad but that sounds really complicated. All the best to you and your mom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.