No change in blood sugars

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm not diabetic but I have some odd symptoms and I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insights. 

About an hour or two after eating, I'm experiencing severe symptoms which include exhaustion, shakiness, palpitations and difficulty concentrating or focussing. I frequently am unable to stay awake. These symptoms gradually wear off but it takes some time. 

My mum has diabetes so I've been getting her to check my blood sugars. My fasting bloods are usually between 5.1 and 5.3 - after eating, even only an hour or after a meal my blood sugars aren't elevated, if anything they're marginally lower at 5.0-5.1. This is the case even if I've eaten a meal which is high is sugar and refined carbs. 

What I'm wanting to know is whether not experiencing a rise in blood sugar following a meal is normal? I recently had a blood test done as I have Vitamin B12 deficiency and nothing else showed up as abnormal. 

Looking online I think my symptoms seem to match post prandial syndrome but I'll obviously go and talk to my GP. It's the blood sugars that I'm curious about - I thought someone in here might be able to let me know whether experiencing no rise was normal?

Thanks all, much appreciated

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Avoid the GP find and endocrinologist. GP's are great for general things NOT for Big D. My GP is a great guy and we get a long famously. He does the blood work cause it is in house and I get the report and take it to the Endro.

Putting fuel in the furnace and not having your blood sugar go up is something new to me. It may be perfectly normal for you or you could have some underline condition that needs to be discovered. 

• Posted

If you can get access to a glucose meter to check your sugar before and after eating that would be a very good idea. And yes everyones sugar goes up after eating. Our pancreas helps release insulin to keep sugar out of our blood stream. But when your diabetic the body does not create and or use insulin. The most common symptoms are excessive thirst, excessive urination, feeling tired, urinary infection.
  • Posted

Hi Sam, are you male or female? I take care of my elderly diabetic mother, so I don't know all she experiences. 

Here are are some thoughts:

1) The weird afte eating symptoms could indicate gut problems, ulcer...  Try some research on those.

2) if you're taking B vitamins, that could be the culprit. Obviously, If you're deficient in Bs, you need to supplement, but I can tell, you, I've had pretty bad reactions to B vitamins.

• Posted

I note that you say that you are Vitamin B12 Deficient -

do you know the reason for this?

what was your serum B12 level when diagnosed?

do you know what your serum Folate is?

what treatment are you getting via your doctor?

Your symptoms which "include exhaustion, shakiness, palpitations and difficulty concentrating or focussing. I frequently am unable to stay awake" very much mirror those of B12 Deficiency which is why I'm asking the above questions about yours.

• Posted

I think this, as Clivealive has asked about B levels, is important to look at. He's correct that your symptoms could be related.

• Posted

If you aren't diabetic taking your sugars like that and feeling they aren't right is probably making you nervous hence the palpitations. If your meal had no protein that is why you are tired your body needs protein for energy. The no protein could also cause the brain fog. You may be one of those people who may have to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals. My rule of thumb idls half the plate veggies quarter plate carb and quarter plate protein. When you eat carbs and sugars it makes your pancreas work harder to make your sugars stay in the normal range and your pancreas is doing what it is supposed to do being that your sugars stayed in the normal range which is between 5 and 7 so I think you are just fine but ask your doctor anyway but I think they will tell you the same thing. Thanks Bella Blue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.