Laminectomy Concerns

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone here tell me if they have had this procedure done and what to expect? how long does it take to get back to normal? Dr. told me I have 3 level stenosis and will need to have this done. I am just scared to death to have it done. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

IN short, I has this done may 3 2016. The operation lasted about 3 to 4 hours. Scar healed up excellent since I'm like wolverine.

I'M saying that to say this. If I cut my leg my leg would heal faster than the average person.

Really it's amazing. Now, the sad part. L4 L5 S1 area surgeon worked on. I am worse of than I ever been. After the surgery in the recovery room I was in extreme pain. No pain meds were helping. Came home the next day because I hate hospitals. I suggest you stay in there until your pain is cut in half. My life has been a living mess. Currently still in therapy, which is a waste and now the surgeon says I need another surgery because he didn't catch the spondylosis which was visible on the mri. I told everybody when I came home after about 2 weeks it feels like I'm worse. I had the best surgeon in Cooper hospital for this but now I'm regressing everyday. Please get a second opinion. I've been working since I was 16 now I barely sleep in the bed. Never begged for anything and now I'm begging God please hope me cope with this pain. As for second surgery, that's still in limbo because I'm seeing a pain management doctor not for pain pills but for injections. Please use extreme caution with pain meds if you take them. Diet if you are over weight and exercise before going to bed. These things may have helped me b4 I had surgery. Best wishes to you

• Posted

I'm sorry for your situation hang in there. My only motivation was I had a son on the way and could not live confined to a wheelchair. The good part is also that I have no pain .but it left me with sever neuropathy.

• Posted

I had a laminectomy in 1983, things have chaged such a lot since then, I was kept in bed in hospital for seven days, then another three days before they would allow me to go home in a steel boned corset!

Please don't worry too much, I coped well with it, had it done to widen the nerve pathways in my bones, it released a trapped nerve.

A friend who had the same op was home recently after two days, and with physio is ok. It depends why they are doing it.

If you need it doing, there a good chance it will help.

• Posted

Hi yes I have had this done and you should have it done as soon as possible. I waited too long and the nerve damage was permanent. It is a relatively simple op provided the surgeon has the experience
  • Posted

I had this procedure four years ago and it was a nightmare they failed to read the mri wich showed a kidney infection. Needless to say it was downhill from there what should have been a three-day stay in the hospital turned into 5 months I left a paraplegic and it took me 2 years to learn how to walk again please ask a lot of questions I had to retire from my teaching job and is now on disability thank God for my faith family and friends I am now walking with a cane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.