Post bunion surgery sharp pains and spasms.

Posted , 24 users are following.

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since I had a bunion surgery on my right foot. I feel pretty good during the day or if I'm moving a bit (still no weight bearing- using a scooter) Once I lay down I have spasms in that foot accompanied by sharp stabbing pain. It's so bad it wakes me up and keeps me awake. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, I had that too and as time passes it becomes less and less. Felt like a knife in my foot. I am at 6 weeks and the main thing I am dealing with now is swelling, ugh! I just keep reminding myself this is temporary it will get better :-)
    • Posted

Thank you so much. All my doc says is that everyone reacts differently. When I was in the cast it was nuts. I felt like my foot was trying to get out of the cast because it would suddenly jerk around. Just odd. Putting my foot up helps w/ swelling. But this is easy since I'm not walking on it. We'lol see what happens next Saturday when I start that phase 😳

• Posted

maybe I did to much today on my foot  laundry and post offices 
  • Posted

Dear Cjirosheshe

Maybe you have nerve damage. Have you been keeping your foot elevated on pillows or cushions higher than your heart whilst resting at home during the day? Also on two pillows whilst sleeping during the night? Have you been wearing your surgical boot 24/7 which should be left on for six weeks after surgery? Crutches would be easier to get around on, saving weight bearing rather than a scooter which you could easily fall off causing more damage to your foot. I've had two bunion

• Posted

Maybe you have nerve damage after the bunionectomy. Best keeping the surgical boot on for six weeks 24/7 and keeping your foot elevated higher than your heart by placing it on pillows or cusions during the day and on one pillow whilst sleeping. Scooter would be more dangerous than crutches saving weightbearing. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi at 3 weeks I started to get sharp stabbing pain at Base of my big toe it would come and go but was very painful at times. It's only the nerves knitting together again that's all. I'm pretty sure it's not nerve damage. Mine lasted a couple of weeks. I really wouldn't worry. It's only been 3 and half weeks and mine started at 3 weeks but my foot is ace now and I don't get any pain in it at all. I got mine done mid June this year.

I only wore my boot in the day. Took it off at night in bed. I only used it to walk in I don't think there's any benefit to wear it 24/7. I couldn't sleep in it after a couple of weeks was way too annoying. Did me no harm to take it off as my foot is perfect to and healed really well.

Happy healing. It will be worth it in the end 😊

• Posted

You're more than welcome. Please don't get scared off by people saying you may have nerve damage. From what you say is what I had and I'm absolutely fine now. It's been through trauma and it's just healing. Of course if you are worried speak to your surgeon but like I say that happened to me. Happy healing

• Posted

I completely agree I experienced the same sensations it will diminish in time. If it eases your mind you can check with doctor, but wanted you to know you're not alone.

I'm now at 6 weeks my issue is my leg is tight from being dormant so performing a lot of stretching. And still dealing with no flexibility with big toe and foot. For those of you that had this surgery did you receive physical therapy?

• Posted

I had terrible muscle wastage on my leg from not walking on it for 2 weeks as my bandage had been too tight around my foot and I couldn't heel walk for 2 weeks until my bandages got took off but the following day after getting my bandages off I was well away with the heel walking I was like a new woman lol. It very soon came back tho and my calfs are both the same size now 😊.

I have a bit of numbness along the side of my foot where my bunion used to be but maybe that will sort itself over time they say a good six months b4 it's anywhere near what it used to be like.

I had a stiff toe too. Maybe that's the way it is now after I had a pin put in a risk Base of big toe. If I bend it towards the floor I feel like it will snap. I havnt been offered any physio therapy. I just tend to move the joint back and forth to try and get it a big more flexible.

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I'm really happy for you and that your foot is healing fairly well. I had to sleep with the boot on my foot for six weeks which was most uncomfortable and left the spacer between my toes in for 9 weeks keeping my big toe straight, which I'm sorry I did now because of the wide gap left between both toes. Now my foot is wider and next February will be having bunionette surgery slicing my foot near the little toe and breaking and pinnning four hammer toe How long did you have

• Posted

I'm glad your surgery went well and your foot is healing. How long did you leave the spacer between your toes once your stitches were removed?  Unfortunately mine left a large gap between both toes which widened my foot and now will be having bunionette surgery next February similar to the bunionectomy plus four hammer toes broken and pinned on the same foot.

• Posted

Hi. I wasn't given much info on my boot. In the end I gathered it was only needed for walking and wasn't serving any other purpose so I took it off at night or if I was resting. I had no toe spacers tho. I am left with a gap between my big toe and the toe next to it which is rather annoying to say the least. You can barely see my scars tho. Just 5 tiny little bur holes was all that was needed. I look at my foot and think wow after 30 years at least of an ugly bunion I'm just ecstatic. I'm praying funding is passed for my other foot. I'm so depressed to have odd feet. Like really depressed! Not looking forward to another 6 weeks in a boot tho oh my what a nuisience. I ended up needing my boot on for like 9 weeks as my bones hadn't fused properly at my 6 week xray and check up. It was a blow but worth it for a nice foot. I'd have worn it a year if it meant a nice foot 😀.

• Posted

Wow I'm sorry you need more surgery 🙁 but will be worth it in the end 😊

I did actually wear a splint for about 6 to 9 weeks. Is that what you had? Do you need your side operating on now?

• Posted

I've got a small bunion on the left side of my foot which I think was caused by leaving the spacer inbetween my big toe and the one next to it for too long fusing the bones. My little toe curls under which will be straightened along with the other three toes. Wires will be inserted keeping them straight. I've got a fabulous surgeon therefore I'm not worried about having the surgery. I didn't have a splint after having the bunionectomy. After surgery my foot was bandaged until the stictches were removed then I wore a sock so that the boot didn't rub on the scar which was fine. Next February I will be doing it all over again but as mentioned, I'll be fine. I'm wishing you all the very best of luck with your feet.

• Posted

Hi Cassand

Physiotherapy was recommended but I didn't bother having it although I should have. I will definitly have it after my next operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.