Is Pregabalin any use in Emergency?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I suffer from GAD which I mainly manage using Fluoxetine, Propanalol and a low doese of Amitryptylene for sleeplessness/neupathic pain, but every year I find myself having a couple of really bad panic episodes, when I get incredibly anxious, have intrusive thoughts etc. etc. In the past, the only thing which has helped has been Diazepam- 2-5mg, for a couple of weeks max., but now my GP has told me I should use Pregabalin in these emergencies instead. However, reading others' experieinces, it looks like it takes a bit of time for the Pregabalin to start working, and there are numerous unpleasnt effects, in the early days=- so, is this drug REALLY appropriate for short term use in emergency situations? I am aware that docs don't like prescribing Benzos, due to fears of addiction, but surely this medication is unlikely to be the answer!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.

You are right to raise concerns.

I find it odd your doctor has prescribed pregabalin as an effective emergency anxiety medication because it does take a few weeks to get into your system, so would be of no use in the situations you describe.

To add to that, pregabalin is not FDA approved for use in this manor.

There are unpleasant effects in the early days, and from my experience, during use and also withdrawal problems after use had been ceased.

It also heightened my anxiety and made my problems worse.

I think you should see another doctor for a second opinion.

Regards

• Posted

Thank you. I'm seeing my GP next week, and plan to raise this issue with her. Unfortunately, she's due to retire soon, and the other docs in the practice are very reluctant to prescribe anything not sanctioned by the psychiatrist whom I saw when first diagnosed. However, I do plan to take a stand over this, as it all sounds very worrying.

• Posted

Good for you hun, dont let anyone fob you off as this is your life not theirs
  • Posted

In a word NO pregabailin is not appropriate for short term use. There are many medications out there for panic attacks
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth.

I have found lorazapam to be one of the quickest acting benzos for anxiety and panic attacks.

If used properly and only as required, you should be okay with them.

I hope this helps.

Regards

• Posted

alprazolam (Xanax) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety, OCD.

clonazepam (Klonopin) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety.

diazepam (Valium) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias.

lorazepam (Ativan) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias.

oxazepam (Serax) generalized anxiety, phobias.

• Posted

Hi Steven.

Yes, these all help with anxiety etc, but out of your list, lorazapam and alprazolam are the two that work the quickest.

The other three take a little extra time.

Regards

• Posted

agreed but some people dont get on well with those so I just gave a choice option

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.