Mucus draw down

Posted , 5 users are following.

Mucus will not come down on its own. I get a feeling of blocked mucus above the nose which I have to pull down hard to shift into the mouth. I then have the option to spit or swallow. As i don't like the feel I tend to spit the thick white or clear  discharge which could probably have been swallowed OK> So i think it is making me dehydrated. I have had nasal sprays, inhaled  menthol and sniffed sea water ( I live about 100 yards from sea)-  nothing helps and the ENT consultant did not understand. but refered me for CT  which showed a small bone growing across a cavity. he said it didn't matter. he  would not have told me about it  had I not asked ( the the GP had given me a copy of the CT results) Polyps not inflamed. I am worried the bone is closing up a passage and the mucus cannot get through. Am on Ramipryl for Blood pressure. Any ideas please?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

P.S. to my own post- Nothing comes down my nose- it is always dry
  • Posted

Are you sure it's the mucus which causing the blockage? 

for mucus, try saline rinse, humidifier in your room, and you can give a go with infrared lamp. Not very expensive. 

However if it's something else which blocking your nose these things might not help at all. 

• Posted

Thanks, as mentioned I have used seawater rinse, I keep bowls of water near radiators nad have an ionise in bedroom. have not tried lamp. I ouwld also say that sometimes it is difficut to get enough air in. e.g. if walking up hill-  I always have my mouth open.
    • Posted

not exactly clear from your post how badly your sinuses are affected. 

If ENT say it's not the bone and you mention polyps as well, have you got one?

It could also be allergy related, Have you done an allergy test?. How long have you had it?

It would be important to know the cause otherwise it would be very hard to find a proper treatment.

• Posted

Sorry I meant sinuses are not inflamed - there was no mention of polyps. I do have food intolerances but have not had allergy test related to this. I am sensitive to perfumes in any product which do make me sneeze, but OK with natural perfume e.g. flowers, hay
    • Posted

it's interesting, because usually physical exercise would do the opposite, open up your sinuses. ask your DR to do an allergy skin prick test. And also the bone you mentioned which grows in your civity would worth a 2nd opinion. 

• Posted

Hiya,

Read what you are doing,I had the same problem I do a Neli Med solution followed by BUDESONIDE which is for use in a neblizer to inhale,but instead they make me wash my nose with it has done wonders for me ask your doctor about it.

Regards,

Charlie

• Posted

I'm no expert, but I do wonder if you're right about the bone possibly causing an obstruction and preventing normal drainage. I have a deviated septum and often wonder if that causes the problems I have with thick, trapped mucus (though the ENT folk say not). The only medication I've found to help is Avamys steroidal nasal spray. I can also get temporary relief from a sinus rinse - NeilMed or neti pot - with DIY solution (boiled water + pure salt (no additives) + xylitol, then left to cool), but using a rather unconventional technique to flip the solution right into the sinuses (there's info online about it). The only problem being it's easy to get it into your ears inadvertently, and therefore risk of infection (which caught me out last year). And it's a bit messy and time-consuming, so far from ideal.

The only other thing is that some people recommend guaifenesin for thinning mucus, but I've never found it to have much effect, if any.

• Posted

THank you for all the replies. SOme of the things I have already tried and there are some new ideas. i have made a GP appointment which takes 2 weeks here.  Looking at the CT scan results about the bone growth the wordin which may may mean some thing to someone is-"left anterior ethmoid osteoma inseperable from the cribriform plate" also" partial occlusion of the right infundibulum"

• Posted

Hi jomary, interesting post! I have some of your symptoms but probably far worse than yours! I´m drowning in thick sticky mucus in additon to other destructive symptoms! Does your mucus have a bad smell and taste too? Are you also intolerant to physical activity?

• Posted

Mucus can taste salty or first thing have a sort of "bad drain"taste. I am not intolerant to physical activity except in so far as I have had a half knee replacement and then hip in the last 12 months. The only thing is that the friend I hike with (who happens to be my physio) pointed out tha I always breath through my mouth when going uphill .I saw the GP 10 days ago and am on 2 weeks (!) antibiotics and also nasal drops for  which I have my head upside down.  The result of these so far is that I can blow my nose about once a day but only one nostril  otherwise the rest is much the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.