Possible banding

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all I've seen a consultant today after having almost 4 months of bleeding with bowel movements and mucus which my gp said was possibly colitis after having high calprotectin levels . I've been a wreck for weeks waiting for this appointment to be told by the consultant that it's almost definitely piles but he's sending me for a sigmoidoscopy to make sure and then possibly get them banded if that's what I want to do .my question is to anyone who's had it done is it painful after as I have read it can be ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Before I had the hemmorhoidectomy I had 4 hems banded.

I had an enema before going into theatre, I was awake (no sedation) and it was quick and not painful at all. I drove home and back to work the next day.

There is a weird sensation, i felt like I constantly needed to have a b/m. This lasted a couple of days , but it wasn't painful.

If you're offered a hemmorhoidectomy... then you really need to think twice - Ouch !!

• Posted

Thank you !! Wow is it really that bad ? Did the banding not work for you ?
    • Posted

Hi. Yes the banding did work, but he couldn't band the external ones.

The op is awful, but everything returns back to normal & pain free it will of been worth it... I can't wait to get to that point lol

Good luck smile

• Posted

Thank you !! Oh I understand now . Thankfully my external ones went on their own and I'm just left with a skin tag which I can live with .

• Posted

Hi. You could ask about the skin tag being removed. My surgeon said today it's a completely different procedure and takes about 2 mins to do. Obviously it will be an open wound, so it will be painful like any cut until it heals. smile

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I had 4 of mine banded & I didn't feel a thing. Afterwards I felt a bit heavy, as though I needed to open my bowels. This lasted a couple of days. I wouldn't hesitate to get it done again if needed.

I've since gone on to have a hemorroidectomy, now that's painful & traumatic.... avoid avoid avoid is my advice on this!!

• Posted

Just realised I'd already answered this thread lol lol

• Posted

Ha ha carl no worries .can I ask are you in the uk ? I was wondering if the banding is normally done at the same time as a sigmoidoscopy or at a later date?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.