Severe weight loss!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys. I am very concerned about the health of my dad. He is 58 and he has diabetes. He had this disease for the past 10 or so years. He was very health and had pretty good amount of body weight as well. He wasn't over weight or obese by any means. 

However for the past 3-4 years, he has started losing weight very fast. He has feels weak and his memory has started to suffer. He doesn't consume sugary stuff unless he is on a wedding function or some sort of party which is VERY rare by the way, even then he consumes very controlled amount of sweets and sugary stuff.

I am VERY VERY concerned about this health. It is giving me nightmares!!

I have talked to him several times already about this condition but he is one of those men who DON'T like to listen to anyone. He is very independent and ALWAYS gives others preferance over himself and his health. And I have several times grown angry with him because of this.

Anyways, I have come here to ask other people with similar diabetic condition to help me out here.

He WON'T visit a doctor or physician because I have tried several times already. So as a result I have started taking certain measures which I think will help with his health and weakness.

I have bought 

1. Chickpeas

2. Red Apples

3. Organic Farm milk (Buffalo) 

In the past months I have been giving him one bowl (100gm) of chickpeas but they didn't help much with weakness or weight. May be they have been working but I haven't noticed it much. So I have started giving him Milk (0.25 liter) and one apple (sliced less then or equal to 70 gm) before bed time.

What other alernatives do you suggest will help him in gaining some weight (for bringing him in health weight category) and helping with weakness.

Are there any formula powdered milk that can be mixed with the regular milk for helping him with weakness and weight?

All the suggestions are very much appreciated!

Best

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do not think diet is the issue. I believe there is an underlying medical condition that only a DR or ENRDO can diagnose. I know you said he will not go to the Dr. mine was the same way for a long time. I finally forced him into the doctors office for the tests. That discovered the cancer which killed him. Sure wish I had forced him earlier (years). Early detection is the key to a lot of medical problems.

Come at him with love and understanding. Do not give up do not give in.

• Posted

Yes I would also recommend getting him to a proper doctor as well. But with diabetes its always best to eat whole fresh foods. I follow a routine of half plate of fresh veggies frozen are good as well but fresh is always best but avoid the starchy veg as well. Then a quarter plate of carbs and a quarter plate of good protein or protein substitute. I hope this helps you out. Thanks Bella
  • Posted

Would your Dad not attend a diabetic clinic as a normal course of events?
  • Posted

Your Dad must have gone to doctors at some point to be diagnosed with diabetes. As clive says there should be follow up clinic diabetes nurse etc.

Someone suggested to me that I joined Diabetes UK and I have done that.

There is loads of help and information out there.

Keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.