RibCage Back Pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have chronic ribcage & mid back pain at the bottom of my shoulder blades the last 4 months. There is loud grinding sounds in both sides my ribs when I raise my shoulders up or down.

I use heating pads every single day & take ibrupofen which used to help but not anymore.

I am so tired & drained from this pain. I've now been diagnosed with anxiety & feeling really depressed.

I've had X-rays, ECG, I've had massages, seen a physio & a chiropractor and I'm just getting worse.

I'm starting to feel like I'd rather not live.

0 Reply

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear rose05272

Your story sounds so like mine I did a lot of push-ups and planking then was half out of a chair and sneezed violently that started me off. My ribs got inflamed and tightened and the more I stressed and tried to carry on the worse I got. I flew o/seas and it really kicked in when I got back . 4 months later and packets of pain killers later the rib pain started to subside I had to stop all my osteo chiro and physio spots because they were making it worse. I have had to take 2 weeks off work and use a heated wheat bag and totally rest it. Lower back pain still there but ribs make lots of cracking popping noises the pain at one stage was so bad I was vomiting up just water. My dr ordered a bone scan which I had Monday but I am very stressed waiting for results. I think rest and not stressing is the key

• Posted

Thank you for replying smile

I've been resting as I can't do much else without being in pain.

How long have you had your pain? Did you have any other tests or just the bone scan?

I'm so confused as to what to do and where to go next.

I hope you find the answers and you are feeling back to normal very soon xx

• Posted

I had mild pain for 2 months them severe pain for 9 weeks. I have been to 4 different gp's 2 said Costo and 2 said it can't be as I have had it too long. I have had X-rays and now a bone scan which is very stressful. My ribs have calmed down I think all the different people working on me were making it worse. My dr also prescribed a muscle relaxer called norflex which I had 2-3 times per day and a prescribed 50mg voltaren every 4 hours. I couldn't even turn of in bed it was so painful

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as you pal iv had this on and off for a year 1-2 months of severe pain now moderate pain and iv now been diagnosed with anxiety and depression aswell because of it , feel free to drop me a message any time i know how hard it is lol it sucks lol take care

• Posted

It's so horrible sad thank you for your reply. Do you get the grinding/snapping sounds when you move your shoulders & ribs too?

• Posted

Can't sleep in pain ribs so sore if I turn feels like all body out of line just drags you down when you got this day after day keep chin up

• Posted

I mainly had kind of sternum "pops" like they felt like a skipped heartbeat or something so it freaked me out,I went to a chiropractor which helped as my back was out of alignment which wasn't making my chest any easier to I would recommend that aswell

• Posted

Oh ok mine sounds more like when you crack your knuckles. But it's in my ribs towards my back. I saw a chiro who adjusted me, he made my whole back crack which helped other areas but made this rib pain worse. I'm so lost as to what to do. It's been so many months. Thanks for your replies lovely x

• Posted

At moment I could not stand the pain ribs and back so sore I don't think it will ever go I'm glad u found somthing to ease your pain

• Posted

Hi Rose I'm the same so fed up with the pain it gose for a while then back even worse

• Posted

Have you ben diagnosed with Costrocondritis? When the costro is bothering me I have those same pains as well, but not a grinding sound? what has your dr said about that? Dont feel hopeless....We are all in this together!  I take a medicine called Neurontin...really helps pain alot and a TENS prescribed by your dr helps alot too. soft ice packs always help me. Also anxiety and Costro seem to go hand in hand. I take anxiety meds as well as the Neurontin. Ask lots of questions when you see your dr. Dont ever give up. You will be ok smile smile smile  I understand your frustration. I also pray alot!

• Posted

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, so far the couple of doctors I've seen just seem baffled by it. Today I woke up & it seems even worse, my whole upper back & rib cage feel like it's dislocated. I'm seeing a rheumatologist next week I'm so scared.

In the last 4 months mine has never gone away it started off on my right upper back/ribs now it's my whole upper back & rib cage, my mind has convinced me I'm either going to live in pain for the rest of my life or get diagnosed with something like cancer sad

• Posted

I've had it for months as I say it comes and gose it drags you down I cry most of the time as it's so painfull doc just gives me pain tablets sometimes it feels like your going to die hang in there

• Posted

Have you had an MRI yet? cat scans? I go to a rheumatologist as well. Good idea. What about an orthopedist?Im also waiting to go to A pain management clinic in January. Want to try accupuncture. Dont get discouraged. They will find an answer and help you. They just have to figure out what it is. Have you had lots of bloodwork?
    • Posted

No doc has not done any blood work yet but I'm waiting to go for angiography as my heart is wired up wrong one of the arteries gose through his the heart muscel bur the pain and tenderness in my ribs and back become unbearable at times and he say it's this costochondritis but it's llk come at once and it just drags u down

• Posted

Good luck!! and think you will be well soon and you will!!! Hang in there. I turn to prayer..helps me alot. and cold soft compresses and motrin, ans neurontin really helps alot. It blocks nerve pain. My Dr. prescribed it.
    • Posted

Thanks grace I hope I will it's nice to talk to someone in same position I think I've drove my friends round the bend keep moaning but no one knows what it feels like

• Posted

We are all in this together Cherralyn! the pain sucks, but there is help out there...lots. Just keep asking questions and bugging your drs. Also look up exercises for Costro when you are up to it. Very gentle streches do help. warm baths with epsom salt help too.  smile smile smile

• Posted

All I've had is an X-ray. I'm so scared of having an MRI I am so claustrophobic I had one of my head years ago & had to tell them take me out. What does a rheumatologist do? I hope he can figure out my problem.

• Posted

Hi Rose

I too am claustrophobic. If you had ct scans or x ray showing nothing fractured or any growths thats good news. No worries. A rheumatologist does different bloodwork than a  regular dr. They can rule any auto immune diseases...Lupas, MS, etc. Ask your dr about neurontin or a TENS unit. As these things really help. I promise this too will pass and get better. I pray alot and also see a counselor. Anxiety definitely ramps up this condition. So try and be calm , and just know you are not alone with this condition!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.