Wheat and cheese

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I've had episodes of AF for 17 years im , now 52.

Each episode never last's more than12 hrs . If I wasn't on medication I do believe I would permanently have AF. I'm on Flecinide and Bisoorol . I was first put on just flecinide but when I had an episode my heart rate would go upto 140 bpm. I was added the bisoprolol my episodes became less aggressive and now I can actually sleep through an episode . Also my resting heart rate has always been a little fast around 89/90 bpm. Now with the bisoprolol my rest heart rate is 64 bpm. I feel much calmer and relaxed . For years I always thought my fast heart rate was down to anxiety, I now know for sure it wasn't .

When first diagnosed I was told to cut out the usual a , caffeine , alcohol etc... I did all that and still sufferd fast heart rate and episodes of AF . What I learned after 15 years of AF was a major trigger is my diet . Wheat is a major and also cheese and dairy . First I cut out wheat and my AF episodes dramatically reduced. Then I noticed I was still having uncomfortable flutters so traced what I'd eaten . Cheese was the culprit . This summer I had I week of in and out of AF and fluttering heart beat . Again I traced my diet And I'd had strawberries and cream nearly everyday and I realised the culprit was the Cream .

Now with the medication , no wheat (gluten) , Cheese and Dairy my episodes have virtually stopped . Even have alcohol again but just stick to cider or red wine . As long as I don't over do it I'm fine . When I used to drink lager after half a glass my heart rate would go very fast. I've realised it was more the wheat in the larger not as much as the alcohol .

I've shared my experience with AF because it took me 17 years to realise my triggers . Looking back when in my teens I had episodes of a really fast heart rate and I was told it was put down to panic attacks . I know know I've been wheat cheese dairy sensitive for most of my life . For the first time I feel in control , I doesn't own me anymore.im aware everyone's AF triggers are different but if this information helps just one person then that would be fantastic .

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing that John. I'm about 12 hours into an Afib attack most are 12 to 16 hrs.

I have often wondered if it was food.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Hotrodda , sounds like similar hours to my episodes . But since finding the triggers mentioned my attacks are very few compared to before ..hope you're feeling better soon and you and you get to the bottom of it 

• Posted

Hi John,

Thanks for that in depth account of your Afib,

Like you are am also dairy intolerant took a lot of years to realise it even as a child cheese gave me nausea and headache within mins of eating it, my mum used to think I was just being naughty and didn't want to eat the cheese, cream is also a no no, and I have allergic reaction if I drink red wine rash and itching. after reading your piece I think it is time to try going wheat free.

This forum is so good the way we are all able to help each other.

thank you.

L.

• Posted

Hi Linda , thanks for the reply, it's all about the long process of elimination we have to keep chipping away . Interesting about the nausea because since I've cut out the wheat cheese dairy I'm also more cleared minded. It's like a fog,has gone  from my brain . Also I had red wine at weekend and have been itching for two days , never thought about the wine I thought it was the shower gel , damn ! .. lol 

• Posted

Hi John, thanks for your text. I will give a go because Glutten also messes up my digestive system. I have had PAF for 5 years and I am on 200 mg Flecinide and 2.5 bisonoprol a day. I also had Abaltion very recently but it does not seemed to have worked.

• Posted

hi big man , thanks for the reply, I know we're all different but worth a try . It takes time to work out gluten free . I read the ingredients now but you eventually get used to what you can have and what you can't . 

I'm on the same meds as you , I believe if I wasn't on meds I would permanently be in AF. When I do have an attack though since adding the Bisoprolol my attacks are not as aggressive . 

I refused ablation because I wanted to exhaust the diet root first . If the attacks become more frequent agin and I've ran out of answers then I will definately go go for it . I know a young lad had ablation a few years ago and it worked so it's always an option . Hope you get sorted out. 

I didn't have the abl

• Posted

John you are awesome! I too believe mine is food related. Everyone thought I was nuts til I met you. I tried the low histamine diet, no wheat etc but until I talked to you I didn't eliminate dairy. Then I started the FODMAP diet and wow what a difference. It's so nice to feel somewhat in control of this condition. You have helped me tremendously and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. smile

• Posted

Thanks sandishealthyn, that's great ! hey even my doctor thought I was nuts . When I mentioned my findings he said he'd never heard of food sensitivty triggering AF, that's when I started to feel a bit of a hypochondriac . Reading other posts of other people who've experienced the same symptoms really does help. So happy you're getting in control , it's a long journey but it's good to get support from people who understand . 

• Posted

maybe the clinicians should start listening to those suffering with the condition, instead of putting us all in the same little box and never looking outside of it. instead of as soon as you are diagnosed heading straight for the the meds, perhaps if they suggested a change of diet (supported by low dose meds)they may reduce the need for so many ablations. but because they do not have clinical eveidence that diet can be a factor they just poo hoo it.

who knows between us we may well come up with the common denoninator that links us all together.

L.

• Posted

thank you so much for sharing John! i will make note for myself and see if any of these things are Afib triggers for me. Glad you found answers and are doing better. 
    • Posted

Thank you Pjoy for the reply, I treat the gluten diet as though I'm celiac . Even the slightest amount can trigger my AF . I struggle with eating out , places do acomadate gluten needs but I have had e few episodes of AF. Indian food is very good for no gluten apart from the nan bread . It takes time but hopefully you will start to get the answers soon . 

• Posted

hi John,

?Your experiences are just about identical to my own - and others who have already posted a reply too also replicate my own experience to one degree or another.

?the common denominator is the Vagal Nerve, a major nerve in the central nervous system which governs/controls/influences both heart and digestive system. I am now gluten free, wheat free, I also follow aspects of FODMAPS .

?The Vagal nerve is also known as the wandering nerve and if you 'google' Vagal Nerve diagrams you will see how the name is derived.

?I went down this route some 4 to 6 months after diagnosis of pAF in 2010. I have expanded the list of non foods and have not had an AF event since April 2015.

John (another John !!)

• Posted

thanks for the reply John , that's really interesting . It helps when you hear othe people with similar symptoms . It just shows in some cases food intlolarence can be a trigger . The thing is it's something I've had to work it out my self . It's took seventeen from being first didnosed . I've been told from the begining no caffeine alcohol , drink plenty water etc etc...  but not once have the doctors ever mentioned wheat cheese and dairy . I know for sure these are major triggers for me . Good to see since you've done a list of non foods you're AF has virtually diminished . Thanks for the info it's helps when you also know the reasons .

• Posted

+ my reply to John5006.

john84040 - Very interesting about wheat allergy effect on AFib. Thanks for sharing. Upper-spine Injury 21 years ago has left my gut blocked unless I give myself mild colic by eating lots of high-fibre bread daily in addition to 5-a-day portions of leafy vegetables + fruit. What foods do you eat, instead of wheat, to keep digestive system working? Experiences of others also welcome.

John5006 - Vagus Nerve involvement likely to apply to me. Serious prolapse of disc in neck (at C5/6) + Right shoulder dislocated + Rt jaw joint dislocated (temporomandibular). All untreated since the injury 21 years ago. Cholesterol always near-perfect, so unlikely to have 'blocked arteries', but BP 15 lower in Rt arm. Pulse 127 at ECG. Now waiting 2 months for 1st visit to cardiologist. After 6 weeks on Verapamil meds (+ I gave up coffee), pulse only slightly reduced, but made Blood Pressure in Rt arm TOO low at 87/46 + increased water-retention of torso + all limbs. I decided to stop AFib medication 2 weeks ago. Also reduced asthma med Ventolin by half. Pulse now around 90-95 in both arms, but BP remains about 15 lower in Rt arm compared with Left arm.

Gut constricted for 21 years - stools max 1-inch x half-inch, 2cm x 1cm. Every time I give up wheat, my gut gets blocked, despite eating twice as many green veg as most people. Any ideas, please, folks?

Also looking for experiences of improving Vagus Nerve function via massage in neck. Where do I start, please?

• Posted

Hi , I'm on a gluten free diet . I now read ingredients on foods and you get used to what does and what doesn't contain gluten . If I do have bread I have genius triple seeded gluten free . Some gluten free breads are a bit dry but that one seems ok . Indian food is mainly wheat free because they use rice flour not wheat flour . I not have the Nan bread . I also eat a lot of natural foods . I basically am in a celiac diet even though I don't have celiac it's more wheat intolerance . If you google celiac diet then you will be able to see what you can and can't digest . Not everyone's triggers are the same so you may be ok with wheat but if you're experiencing episodes like I was then try and trace back your diet after your AF kicks in , I'm no expert it's just something I've worked out after 17 years of Bing first diagnosed . Crazy thing is the experts I've seen have never heard if wheat dairy cheese being a trigger but I know for sure in my case they are a trigger .

• Posted

Many thanks, + glad you are doing well, 17yrs on.

Wonder if the other John will have some comments - or anybody else?

• Posted

hi John 84040,

?I simply don't like the dryness of gluten free breads. I usually eat a gluten free crispbread as a replacement for ordinary bread. Occasionally, when my partner gets it I have a bread made French style, a sour dough bread. But I don't have it regularly. No problems with it. I cannot eat any Indian food or thai food and only limited Chinese food.

?I had another health scare in February 2015 when I went to an optician, he detected raised blood sugar and I then had to have the HbA1c blood test and sure enough I was borderline 'Prediabetes'. So I went cold turkey and cut out all added sugar. Since then my blood sugar has dropped and dropped and I am well within the normal range for non diabetics. Dairy - yes I can handled semi skimmed milk, but no yoghurt. I can handle a hard cheese, like Cheddar or Edam but no soft cheeses like Brie. I adore dumplings in stew but can't handle suet and the flour in it. When I eat stuff I should I bloat like I've got an airline attached to me and my blood pressure rises dramatically from my normal of 127/72 up to around 160/90 in a matter of hours and it takes about 5 days before I return to normal health. When this happens I feel pressure around the heart and really think if it weren't for my 5 mg of Bisoprolol daily at night I would easily kick in to an AF event.

?I've concluded that there are no such things as experts - only you the sufferer of food intolerances/allergies etc are the expert - on your body/ about your body. All you can do is spread the good news and convey to people your experiences in the hope that at some point it helps someone, somewhere.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.