fifth metatarsal fracture

Posted , 6 users are following.

I fractured my fifth metatarsal 4 weeks back when I was walking and rolled my foot on an uneven surface. Like most of us, googled up and learnt bit and pieces about my condition. Now I am that on the healing curve, thought its worthwhile to share my experience. I saw my GP straight away, had an Xray done to confirm. Was sent home with just a bandage and no crutches (sounds ridiculous that my GP didn't recommend crutches). Googled up to find that this fracture causes lot of inconvenience and may require surgery. Next day I was off to my GP again  (thankfully, he put me on crutches this time) and got a referral for a Foot surgeon and luckily got an appt three days later. The surgeon put me on moon boots with compression stockings and advised non WB for a couple of weeks. In the third week I was advised to partial WB as much as I could. Had my next appt in my fourth week with WB Xray and things are looking ok. I was advised to go off crutches and here I am now walking on my feet again after a month although with the heavy boots which will stay with me for another four weeks. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting .... seems the question always is ... when to weight bear and when not to whilst healing ??

Hope you're doing ok now cx

• Posted

You are so lucky.  I trusted the Doctors at the hospital who told me it was no big deal and I could weight bear from the beginning.  4 months later and it hasn't joined and they say it's cause i'm a smoker.  I wish I'd done the googling you did.

• Posted

Hi! thanks for sharing!  I fractured the same bone 4 weeks ago.  At was put on a cast at first at the emergency room but the foot doctor and he took the cast off and put me on a walking boot which I've been wearing for the past month. At first with crutches and two weeks later I started walking with the boot. Now I am wondering for how long I will have to wear the boot. I am going on a long trip on the 13th of december and I hope I can travel without it!  I am a runner so I want this to heal properly.  

• Posted

6 weeks would be the soonest...dependant upon how fast your body heals....amen, may it heal properly...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.