Thyroid problem and weight loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All, 

I have a hypo function of thyroid and I cannot lose weight no matter what I do be it sport or diet. 

I do not want to take hormons for the rest of my life. 

Does anyone know how to boost thyroid function? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ana. If you take thyroid medicine for Hashimotos, like I do, it'll be for life. I don't find it to be a hardship taking the medicine each morning but the condition sure makes it hard to lose weight. The most effective long term diet I've found is lower carb, high fiber (veggies and fiber supplement), and soy-free. The key is sticking to a lower carb and calorie way of eating consistently, long term. Then you'll definitely see results. Eat only foods you truly like and limit eating to 3 balanced meals a day, so you have energy, can go out to eat, socialize and feel normal - which will really help you continue. To boost metabolism, stay hydrated and do stretching, yoga and walk wherever you can. If you're low on energy, just stretch. It feels great. cheesygrin

• Posted

Emmy, so you do not eat fruits much, righ?
    • Posted

I do eat fruit if I really want it. And I usually do. Fruit is a higher carb but so good for you and filling and delicious. Overall I try to eat under 75 grams of carbs a day, and under 1500 calories, so one piece of fruit a day fits in fine. Choose what's worth the carbs and calories to you. Regular sugar (not fruit sugar) stalls weight loss for me so isn't worth it unless it's a birthday. It also triggers strong cravings, makes me retain water, and messes with my moods. 

• Posted

Thank you for such a detailed explamnation. However, I do not yet take any medication. Did you try to use any natural supplements? 
    • Posted

I don't take supplements for low thyroid. I take thyroid med and have my levels monitored by an endocrinologist every year. The medicine doesn't make it easier for me to lose weight but I think if I didn't take it I would put on weight even more easily. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.