Goitre ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.  Not sure this is the right forum but grateful for any advice.  I have a goitre, noticed it some 15 or so years ago.  My TSH gets tested every 6 months (I think) and a scan revealed multiple nodules.  Mostly my TSH is within levels and honestly I never even think of it.

A year or two ago I was put on Carbimazole, only eventually it pushed my THC far too high and was stopped.

All I want to ask is whether others have a 'wheeze' that seems to come from that area?  I find swallowing pills difficult, frequently make me heave.   Joints ache so much, always chilly and I feel so tired, just fall asleep if I sit down !

Does any of this sound familiar ?  Don't want to go to GP with symptoms that may just be due to age (not reached my 3 score and ten years yet, but getting close).  Maybe this is the wrong thread?

Thank you.   j.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi jessie2150, you could ask your GP for a printout of your blood tests. Maybe your TSH is within 'normal  range' but towards the high end of the spectrum. Once you have the results you could check if your TSH has varied over the last few years. 

Regarding your other symptoms: An enlarged thyroid may constrict your gullet.  

When taking pills  you might have the sensation that they are getting stuck even if you take them with plenty of water. I had this problem and found it is easier to swallow caplets or sugar coated pills compared to normal (compressed powder) tablets. 

• Posted

Hi danR, I appreciate you replying.   

It is a feeling of constricion yes, and a sort of wheeze from there.

The goitre doesn't look  big, no larger than before - at least to me,  As I have only had these symptoms this year I was wondering if an enlarged thyroid could cause them, so your reply was very helpful, thank you.

• Posted

Hi

I recall hearing or feeling a wheeze or what I felt was a slight "gurgle" in the throat area where I have nodules upon awakening in the morning. That was a few years ago. My nodules have shrunk a bit and I don't have it anymore. Not sure if it was associated.

• Posted

Of course I have had these symptoms and others. When I visit my endocrinologist, he will tell me if it is part of the disease or part of the aging process. I believe it is good to wait a couple of weeks for improvement, but otherwise seek out answers from a trusted medical professional. If there is a solution, why not find it. If it is age,

sometimes there are ways to cope that we may be unaware of.

• Posted

Also - the nodule that's giving me trouble now as being "hot" was or is substernal. No one even told me this until recently. I wonder if that had anything to do with the hissing or wheezing sounds.  Have the doctor explain your ultrasound to you. Keep copies of the scan results so you can compare year to year. Mine was stable for years then grew a bit then began to shrink. It's stable again and I feel fine which is why I was suprised to learn one had turned overactive.

• Posted

Hi JayValle.  That is interesting - but what is a substernal goitre?  I'm thinking lower down?  I had a scan years ago nothing since, and these last months the swelling looks less to me, so maybe there has been some change?  I really notice the wheezing at night, in bed slouched against the pillows to read so sure position has a connection.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Jessie

Yes - same with me. I'd notice it in bed when lying down. I copied the substernal info:

Substernal goiter is generally defined as a thyroid mass that has 50% or more of its volume located below the thoracic inlet.

My swelling was pretty big - I'm thinking one was about 5 cm and had grown. So I had all biopsied 2 yrs ago. Prior to that the only biopsied the one large one.  I could feel it and see it so much more. This past year I thought it almost disappeared but the ultrasound found it was down to 4 cm which is why I think it's shrinking. I honestly don't feel it anymore and the wheeze is gone. 

I think the nodules may get larger and smaller on their own at times, but I'm not sure if they ever go away. I had totally forgotten about mine when I went in for my annual physical so when they said my TSH was so low I was surprised as I feel okay other than cold a lot and tired easily.

• Posted

Hi JayValle

I realise I am quite ignorant about my goitre/thyroid.  I also just forget about mine but my gp put me on carbimazole once (for 18 months) after blood tests and then I was called in and it was stopped because it had caused my levels to rise to 64  !!   I did mention I felt a bit forgetful and confused and my gp said that used to be call myxodema madness !

After reading your replies it makes me realise it could be the cause of many of the odd  symptoms I seem to get, so maybe a chat to the doctor would be useful.

Thanks for all the information.

• Posted

I hope you get your answers from your doctor, Jessie. Keep us posted :-)

Be Well !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.