Is gabapentin worth trying??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone here try gabapentin?

I have an inflamed nerve on the back of my head (right side) which I'm told by neuro is occipital neuralgia but instead of a bad headache, the nerve just becomes very inflamed and sore to touch. It does cause headache behind my eyes at times but that's about. I have an ice pack on it now.

I want to try gabapentin they gave me BUT I also have an inner ear disorder and am EXTREMELY sensitive to medicines that make you dizzy. Plus the ON already makes me dizzy so I don't want to make it worse. I've held off for about a year but I've had this flare for like 2 weeks now and I can't take it anymore.

What is everyone's experience with gabapentin? Thank you!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Hayhue, I take Gaberpentin for nerve pain and have found it is the only drug that as taken the pain away. However some people cannot tolerate it. The only way to find out is to try it. My only side effect is weight gain but compared to the neurolgical pain its a small price to pay. I eat healthy to try and maintain the weight. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Mine is such a lose dose that I'm hoping it won't have too many side effects!

• Posted

I have also had a diagnosis of occipital neuralgia with trigiminal involvement. I was also hesitant about commencing it but I did some 3. 1/2 months ago. I started very slowly on 100mgs daily and over the 2 months got to 1300mgs. At this level I still had no pain relief at all and although the dizziness had gone I suddenly became very nauseous for over a weeks and decided to slowly come off it. I have also done this very gradually and every 10 days I drop it by 100mgs. So Far so good, although I feel the pain is worsening as I come off it although it didnt work while I was on it. The main symptom I had all the time was continued tiredness. I do regret starting it yet at least now I know that 2 a ticnvulsants have t worked on me. Everyone is different and it is a personal choice. Good luck with your decision 
    • Posted

Thank you. Do you find your ON makes you dizzy? Mine seems to mess with my vision as well when it comes on.

The neuro gave me 100 mg so since its such a lose dose I'm hoping it won't be as bad.

• Posted

No I don't get dizzy, just a pressure in my head and some weird type of headache occasionally. I feel it's more trigiminal involvement that I have and its type 2 which is harder to treat ... Hence no success with the gabapentin

My suggestion is that you give it a go as it is the drug of choice for ON, but do it very gradually as I have done and it is certainly tolerable. Of course under the guidance of the neurologist as to what dose to get to.

Good luck !

• Posted

Thank you. My dizzy mainly comes from the blurred vision I get with it.

Hope you find relief as well!

• Posted

Gabapentin has worked for me. I was curled up in a fetal position almost sobbing in excrutiating nerve pain from a spinal cord injury that left me with RSD (Reflex Sypathetic Dystrophy) covering every square inch of my left buttock, leg, and foot. Started with low dose of 300m/day. After 4-5 days, the pain subsided by a good 20%.  We then began to slowly increase the dosage until I was at max daily dosage (4000mg/day). It did create some occassional very minor side effects along the way, but the benefit outweighed the effects. This was mostly when I took it on am empty stomach. I'm now at 2400mg/day. I would have to say that Gabapentin is the one medicine out of the 8 that I take for pain and spasticity that helps me most. Maybe you should start with the lowest daily dose and see how you do. There are other GABA drugs out there that also work with nerve pain. I don't know if they have similar side effects though.

All in all, if your Dr. knows your tendency towards dizziness and he still prescribed it, I would give it a try.

Best wishes and prayers for healing.

• Posted

Thank you very much!

I'm going to try a low dose and see how it goes.

Glad to hear it works for you and prayers as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.