Spleen removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

So 10 months ago I had my spleen removed while I was 34 weeks pregnant due to a splenic aneurysm. I spent a week in the ICU and when they discharged me just said I needed shots every year. The more I'm looking online I'm seeing people taking penicillin and antibiotics but every time I ask the dr when I was still in the hospital and even after they said I just need shots and don't worry about anything else. Among other things they have a malpractice suit from me but now I feel they just didn't care to tell me what I need to do. I just moved and am looking for a new doctor but in the mean time should I be taking penicillin and getting antibiotics?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Samantha. Are you in UK? I just thought that maybe different countries have different guidelines. Maybe guidelines are different for expectant mums. I've been prescribed penicillin v twice a day (morn and night) for 17 yrs since splenectomy for immune thrombocytopenia also vaccines. Also if you show signs of infection you must see your doctor straight away as your spleen was your main defence for bacterial infection. Congratulations for your new arrival wjen baby arrives. Pauline

• Posted

Hello Pauline, I am actually in the US. They just told me to stay away from people who are sick (including my son) and if I get a fever over 100 to go to the emergency room. They said I didn't need to take anything, including vitamins. But the more I read I feel I should be. I do my best to stay away from people when they are sick but I want to do more just don't know what. Sorry that I'm ignorant to this whole fact, didn't have the option to do research or anything before hand because it ruptured unexpectedly. Thank you for replying!

• Posted

Hello Samantha. I understand how scared you are. I was too but its difficult to avoid poorly folk and especially your son. Shortly after my op I cared for mother with horrid vomiting/diarrhoea bug and didn't

catch it. I cared for my

daughter with swine flu and

was well. Ive been in hospital

twice with ear infection and

cellulitis from insect bite. Had

iv antibiotics n was ok. For

resistant bugs to penicillin

there are different types of

meds eg. Mycins ciprofloxacin. They attack

bugs differently. The medics

at emergency have lots to

make sure you get well. The

vaccines I had were hib

meningitis (like babies)

meningitis c + other letters (a

combined vac) pneumavac.

Meningitis + pneumo every 5 yrs I think. Meningitis b has

recently become available

now US has got friendly with

Cuba. They developed it

years ago and offered it to the

world for free but the US

government held it up until

after Franco passed over. I hope this info makes you feel safer. 17 yrs and still around to moan about it. Feel free to contact again if you need to let off steam or just if you would like to. Regards Pauline

• Posted

I am 38 and had an open splenectomy in May 2016. I know some people who have no spleen are on a daily dose of an antibiotic, but my doctors insist that is not necessary and can actually even be harmful. Although I have been told to get on an antibiotic if I feel the slightest bit sick so that's what I will do.

I've only gotten sick once since the surgery and it was just a cold. I recovered without an antibiotic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.