Possible Crohns - Any advice / ideas please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys - hoping some of you might have some ideas or suggestions or maybe even a bit of encouragement please!

Basically last Christmas started with pain in lower right abdo, thought it might be appendix but didn't worsen or develop so didn't think much about it. Had pain lower right abdo on and off but no real rhyme or reason.

March this year woke with agonising lower right anti pain, diaherra and vomiting with the pain. Pain continued so booked gp appt. They tried mebeverine and suggested IBS - doesn't really fit with IBS - not stopped any trigger foods and not in a stressful job anymore.

Symptoms being 4-10 bowel movements a day, fatigue, nausea, constant lower right abdo pain from dull pain to severe pain, which obviously gets me down.

Another gp then suggested referral to hospital. Saw consultant who booked me in endoscopy, colonoscopy, and abdo/pelvic ultrasound. Just seen the consultant again who said they've all come back normal apart from a bit of excess bile. So he's suggested stool samples again and then maybe referring me if that doesn't show anything for a very expressive test... MRI? And said that as nothing was seen in large intestine could be affecting small intestine.

Any ideas or suggestions please.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, First of let me say that I am sorry to hear the way you are feeling. I have suffered from crohns for 52 yrs now, and let me say that it does affect people differently so the symptoms are not always the same. And there are many complaints of the digestive tract that offer up similar symptoms that is why it is not easy to diagnose. but this IBS annoys me since I think it is somthing that they use when they are not sure what it is.  I also get annoyed at the time that it takes to to diagnose these problems especially with all the new technology that is available now. As I said I was diagnosed 52 yrs ago with crohns but it did not take that long to estabish what I was suffering from. It was first thought that I was suffering from my appendix and they rushed me in and removed them, but it was during this operation that they discovered that I was also suffering from crohns, which I have to say that back then, I had never heard of.  They have recently brought out a new technique of of thoroughly checking the digestive tract with less chance of missing things as with other test. This is accomplished by swallowing a capsule which has a camera inside, it that take photo's as it passes through the whole tract. This may be somthing they suggest if other test fail to find anything.  I sinceley hope that they soon establish the cause of your discomfort so that they can start treating it. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm gathering it can take a while to diagnose but hopefully once they know what's causing it, they will be able to give me something or do something to help and ease things a bit. Thanks for you support. X

• Posted

Hello Lizzie, sorry your feeling unwell, I'm having the exact same pain at the moment but I do have crohns, let me just say that's how mine started off 9 years ago, they kept fobbing me off at the docs for months and months, unfortunately I ended up in hospital with a ruptured bowl and ended up with a stoma now reversed, I was well with no pain after that but recently have started with this pain, with crohns it usually starts in the large bowel at the ileum, don't let me scare you because there's loads they can now do for it but just keep pestering them as they always give it the ibs answer!

All the best x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - yes I understand what you mean, they kept fibbing me off until I just sat there and said well I can't continue you like this - it's a pain but your right need to keep in at them until we get somewhere! Hope you go

on ok and things ease for you soon. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

I have Crohn's...take budesnide which is a steroid and balsalazide each three times a day.

Crohn's causrs inflammation, perhaps you have not had it long enough to have damage.

The small intestine wiggles all over. The colon goes up on the right, across, then down on the left.

Here in the USA, a biopsy is taken and sent out to determine whether the IBS is actually Crohn's.

kind regards

,judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.