Physical Therapy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am about 4-1/2 months into FS. I had my first PT on Friday the 28th and my second yesterday.  I have a 45% increase in ROM going out to the side of my body and a 15% increase to the front!  I was pleasantly surprised by that after one visit.  I do like my PT because she says there should be some discomfort but if I say it's too much she changes the type of exercise.  I hope this is the road to recovery.  Only time will tell. . . .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I spent 18 months with physios and chiros seven years ago....I do not have full movement on that shoulder...this time only time will tell after a MUA...the problem I felt with physio is how long the expense goes on for...if I had it earlier I would have saved myself time...u might be defrosting. ..good luck

• Posted

Reading other people's experiences on here and considering my own, PT seems to have little effect during the early (freezing) stage of FS, and indeed may be couter-productive and often very painful.  My feeling is that PT, or home exercises have little benefit until you are in the thawing phase or after MUA/ACR. Can I ask what stage you were at? 4 and a half months seems quite early to be at the thawing phase, but we are all different.

I think your PT has the right idea about there not being too much discomfort.  I am having PT after my surgery and he knows just how far he can manipulate my shoulder without too much pain.

Hope your recovery continues apace.

• Posted

Hi Irene,

i started doing PT through my firms occy health as I have a damaged disc in my neck and its trapping a nerve, unfortunately I started to get worse, had an MRI on my neck and showed the same problems as before, but was told i might have a problem with my shoulder, so i had an MRI done on that, its now come back saying I have 10 issues with my left shoulder, including that it is also frozen. so its surgery for me then I will have PT, but in my opion there is nothing like a scan to pinpoint what is going wrong, so if you get anymore problems insist on a scan. 

• Posted

Good luck with Mua.

Yr shoulder sounds more complicated than mine...my physio recommended hot water bottle before exercise and ice after...it's a full time job...I'm three weeks after....using a council hydrotherapy twice a week with exercise is amazing. ..

• Posted

Warm the shoulder with a heating pad...warm muscles are easier to move.

Keep up the good work!

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.