Propafenone and Dronedarone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wonder if anyone has had any experience of either of these drugs.  I have had AF for several years and no medication has had any effect on it.  In fact the various medications have given me some awful side effects.  I am now on Sotalol but it doesn't make any difference to the AF episodes which in fact seem to be getting more frequent i.e. most days. 

?My consultant has referred me to a new consultant who I am seeing next week with with a view to putting me on one of the two drugs named above initially and then to possibly have a radio frequency ablation.

As I have had such bad side effects with the different medications I wonder if any of you have had experience of either of these?  It would be good to know about them before I see him next week.

?Many thanks in advance for your help.

Gloria

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gloria, yes was on propafenone  for over a year. it did help a little but it too had side affects, made me very tired and constipated as i recall. I was almost to the point of getting an ablation surgery when my cardiologist switched me to flecainide. I take one in the afternoon and one about an hour before bed. it too makes me tired but not as bad as propafenone. Also, since starting it over month now, I have had NO afib (knock on wood)! Before that I was getting afib every day usually at night. and the propafenone would usually take a few hours before it would stop the afib symptoms. I'm not sure why flecainide is 'working' for me. but i have been about as pleased as i can be because other than making me a bit tired for a couple of hours, having no afib symptoms has been wonderful.

• Posted

Thank you Marilyn for your reply.  I am very worried about the side effects as I think my body seems very sensitive to drugs perhaps because I use a lot of natural remedies.  I had terrible headaches when I was on Flecanide and it didn't stop the AF so I stopped taking them.

?Well done on not having any any symptoms it does make an enormous difference to your life doesn't it.

Best wishes, Gloria

• Posted

Propafaone did not work for me and gave me terrible side affects. Sotorol given to me in the hospital caused me to be short of breath and I needed oxygen.  The only drug that has kept me in NSR I was just put on in Mid-October but can have very bad side affects is amiodarone. You have to be monitored very closely and I'm told if u r on it for less than a year, u can be ok, as long as u r monitored. I do have a pacemaker but that alone wasn't keeping me out of afib. Good luck. 

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply Suzanne.  I think I am going to be very reluctant to go on either of these drugs and perhaps wait for an ablation.  I still think for all of us it would be so much better to find out the cause of this problem rather than trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer.

Good luck in your quest for relief.

Gloria

• Posted

Suzanne, I am on Amio, 200 but this year  I have been taking 100 (cut them in half). I am not monitored by my doc, just appointment every 4 months and tests once a year. The consultant said I could have Amio for 7 years. The few side effects are worth it to stop the rattle. I have no other medical aids, just inhaler for asthma. What dosage are you taking ? I agree with the "sledgehammer" - seems they dont care enough to find a cure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.