Amitriptyline cause depression?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all!

I was hoping if someone could help me and I'm sorry this is going to be a bit long so please bear with me.

I'm having severe anxiety, lost 6lbs in one week which gave me more anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Amitriptyline at 10mg to help me sleep and hopefully give me appetites to gain back my weights(yes I'm scared of losing weight).

The first night I took it I dosed off right away but woke up early. Was a bit tipsy when I went to work. BUT all the anxiety symptoms were still there - chest tightness, hopeless, scared, palpitation plus zero appetite still. So I thought maybe the med hasn't really kicked in.

Well I'm on my fifth day now and I've been waking up at 4am with feeling of hopelessness and doom and now my hands are constantly shaking and body twitching and feeling like goosebumps on my hands and stomach. And starting yesterday I have head tightness and stiff neck. It comes and go. When it comes my anxiety symptoms seems to go, but when it gooes, horrible feelings come creeping in..like I will never get better, and perhaps I'm having depression.

So my question is has anyone had these kinds of side effect when taking small dosage of Amitriptyline or is my anxiety too severe that I may need to increase the dosage?

I'm actually thinking of withdrawing from this med.

So any device will be very appreciated.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If your only having anxiety they shouldn't put you on this med as it's now used for nerve pain. Other meds work better for anxiety especially the type you describe. I recommend diazepam which will help you relax and increase your appetite. It helped me gain weight as I dropped down to 5stone8 when I was really bad. Diazepam can be taken at any time of day but it will make you drowsy but at the moment that might actually do you good by helping you chill. Go back to your GP and ask about diazepam :-)

• Posted

Thank you very much. I will stop taking the med and ask my GP about that one. I actually started having my appetite this evening, and it's almost like I couldn't stop eating. Yay! But the neck stiffness and head tightness are still there. Hopefully it's just a side effect of the Amitriptyline and will just go away on its own.

• Posted

I agree that Amitriptyline should not be given for anxiety Gabriella - it is such an old drug and amazingly still given out as a sort of cure-all despite it's very well known side efffects collated over many years. I'm glad Diazepam helped you and that you are now well. However, many GP's in the UK won't presribe this now because of its highly addictive nature and I wonder what alternatives for Anxiety such as Sahliel is suffering are out there now? Perhaps others on this forum may know and post. Stay well

• Posted

I stopped last night as I was feeling tense on my neck and stiffness in my head. I'm not sure if it's caused by the pill but I didnt see good side effect other than falling asleep easy.

I live on a very small island out in the Pacific Ocean so things are very limited here. I've asked my doc about other anxiety med and he said that he used to carry them but now the government is restricting him from carrying certain meds, but he also said he'll try to ask them again.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that you have limited help for your anxiety Sahliel as this I am sure does not help you ease your current problems. As already stated on this forum Amitriptyline was originally used as an anti-depressant and is not in use for Anxiety with many patients reporting heightened anxiety when taking them. It seems you find yourself between a rock and a hard place with little medication that can be offered to you. Did your Doctor mention what other drug/s he is going to ask about? Did you ask him about Diazepam? It is difficult to give you any helpful advice bearing in mind where you live and the restrictions placed on what Doctors can and cannot presribe.At least you have decided to come off Amitriptyline which is something. Do you have access to any Clinics that can teach you coping techniques when your anxiety is very high? There are certain breathing exercises you can learn to help with this which would be better than nothing. In the meantime I send you my best wishes and hope you can get something sorted out. Do let us know how things progress. 
    • Posted

Thank you Elizabeth. I really appreciate your kind thoughts. It is scary knowing that there are good meds out there that could help but is not available for me. So I went back to Amit last night as I started having deep depression( feel very hopeless, very sad, didn't feel like doing anything). I think with the anxiety I can manage, to subside it with relaxation techniques and breathing techniques. But now my worst enemy is the depression. I'm always thinking whether I will ever get out if this and go back to being my normal happy self again and it just brings more gloom over me. Last night I was thinking of just giving up, I've had enough, and is tired of fighting. So that's why I decided to try Amit again since it's my only chance to fight my depression. I feel a bit ok this morning. Will let you know my progress. Kind of help for me to writer it here, to let it all out. Thank you fit bearing with me.

• Posted

I'm always glad to help if I can Sahliel. If writing about anxiety and depression helps you then it is good. Also talking therapy is a good idea if you have a close friend or family member to use as a sounding board. I know it is hard to open up sometimes to others, or to find someone willing to listen, but if you can please try it. I am sad to hear that you feel like giving up but I can assure you that this will not last for ever. That happy self has just got buried under stresses and strains of life and will find its way out again. Can you remember the last time you laughed until you cried? Try to reach back to that memory and at least Smile. As the saying goes, Laughter is the Best Medicine, and I for one think it is true. I hope that by going back on the Amitriptilyne and staying on it until the initial side effects lessen you will start to enjoy life again. If not, we can just hope that your Doctor can come up with an alternative. In the meantime post if you need to and I will reply when I can.

• Posted

Hi there

I was given the same dose and it helped me sleep the first night til early hours too. After that it didn't help with sleep. I would still be up at 4/5am in pain. I was told to increase the dose to 20 mg as I didn't think it was doing anything. So I did for the 2nd week. Again it did nothing for my sleep or pain. Looking back now from day of taking these I hit a major bout of depression, I didn't realise at the time I was in. Mood swings etc. 3rd week I was advised to triple it. So I took my 30mg and from hours 2-5 after taking the meds I was in complete agony. It had emphasises my pains x100. I knew there and then that they weren't right for me.

I'll be honest, I haven't told anyone else on here. The 3 weeks I was on them, I tried to kick my partner out every week. 3 times, went nuts over the slightest thing. It changed my personality and stopped my being able to rationalise my thoughts. I wasn't in control of my thoughts. I was away up in this level that no one could of got me down from. The day after taking the 30mg i phoned the doc and told them I'm not taking it. I was prescribed something else. Since stopping taking it, I've noticed I've had a flare up due to stress with work. But I felt so much better!

I'd stay clear, there is an alternative therapy hot pool Hydrptherapy it's meant to be good.

I hope you get something sorted! Good luck & take care xx

• Posted

Ok sorry it didn't work out for you. I took this back when I was in college to treat my IBS and anxiety and it worked like wonder. But now it's like I've taken a totally different med.I'm still on 10mg even though the doc told me to double it. I want to believe that I'm now steadily getting better, depression wise. But we'll see for the next few days if things will keep getting better or it'll be an up and down thing.

• Posted

Hi Sahliel,

I am also on amitriptyline for my severe anxiety and panic attacks. I'm pregnant, so I cannot take anything else. I'm on 10mg at night, and 10mg in the morning.

My question is: how long did it take to work, and did it make you worse before you got better? I've only been taking it for 5 days but still just as bad. I'm starting to lose hope

• Posted

Grace just wondering how you are getting on. Been on amitrypeline before. I have depression insomnia and ibs. Restarted it last night 10mg didn't help with sleep at all having a bad ibs attack today and my mood has dipped a bit. Gp took memail off sertraline as it was keeping me awake but did think it was starting to work for depression. Don't feel groggy today I did for a while when I was on it the last time

• Posted

Hi Carolyn,

To be honest, I'm not sure how I am getting on. Today is 2 weeks since I started medication. It defintely got much worse the first week. My attacks were hightened, my sleep was little. It woke me up with attacks several times in the middle of the night. 

People around me are saying that I have started getting better the last few days. On Sunday i had a really good day actually, but yesterday I dipped again, and today has not been good at all (panic attack/ faintness, and severe anxiety). I do not want to get my hopes up and say it is the medication that made me better 2 days ago, as I had had moments where I thought I was improving, but then got worse than I ever had.

I am only on 20mg a day. I will continue on it as i want to give it a chance to work, and people have told me it needs at least two weeks. To be honest, I am starting to lose hope, but I need to try. I am seeing the psychatrist again beginning of Jan, so he might see that I need a higher dose.

It made me very sleepy the first week, and I also get very vivid dreams with it, but am sleeping well now. 

Did it work for you the first time you took it? If so, how long did it take to kick in?

• Posted

Hi Grace this meds game is a nightmare isn't it! Last time I was on it was purely for my ibs and it did help with that. It didn't make me sleepy but when I got to sleep slept better. Remember feeling groggy for a week or so then ok. This time it's for sleep and ibs. Took it last night had no affect on me at all sleep wise and in pain today. The doc said if I'm sleeping well I might not need anything else? My depression earlier in the year was horrific as was anxiety. I developed bad insomnia which lead to a drinking problem. I'm clean now and began sleeping well again my mood lifted went to gp he put me on sertraline. Won't lie first week horrific no sleep the runs by week 2 still had those symptoms but in myself kept feeling loads better. At my review doc said stop sertraline and go on amitrptaline instead. Today really feel like my mood has dipped a bit. It's too soon to increase to 20mg might have to try next week. I did query dose with pharmacist 10-20mg usually for pain ie ibs or other pain and sleep. Dose for depression a lot higher about 70mg which I don't think I could function on. Really don't know what to do. It hasn't made me groggy or anything so I kinda feel like my depression being pushed to one side! Doc didn't have a great attitude which didn't help. Do you think you will stick it out?

• Posted

Hi Carolyn,

It is a nightmare, but hopefully worth it.

I'm really glad to say that today has been a really good day. Best one since I started my anxiety, and the only day where I've actually felt much more myself again. It is my 15th day on amitrptaline. I'm feeling a lot more hopeful, and am trusting that it's the start of progress. I have been told by a lot of people that it takes 2 weeks to kick in, so that would be spot on if it is the case. 

I will update you on how I'm feeling tomorrow, incase this is a one off miracle day smile 

Im really glad I stuck it out the first two weeks, cause if this does work, its totally totally worth it, and would recommend anyone to do the same 

• Posted

Hi Grace that's such good news! I'm so pleased for you! Yesterday was a nightmare pain from ibs and didn't help with sleep first night. Slept a bit better last night thankfully and pain has eased today and I'm only on day 3. Yes you could be right about the 2 week mark so glad you persevered. I'm planning on increasing to 20mg next week and see how it goes. Don't want to be complacent so going for a review end of next week. Keep me posted Grace and so glad you've had a good day it feels like the world when all you've had are bad ones! Take care of yourself ?

• Posted

Hi Grace hoping you have had a lovely Xmas. How are you getting on with amitrpteline hopefully things are still good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.