Having stitches out after cateract removal

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, new to this forum am on another for PMR. I had cateract removed 2wks ago after waiting 6days on waiting list(amazing i thought at the time) i live in UK. During Op i had a dropped Nucleus and had to go back again next day to sought it out, after being on table for 1hr 20mins i insisted on a general. After coming out i felt sick and dizzy and took to my bed for a week (normally i am very active) the drops were like puttin a red hot poker in your eye and when i read they make you sick and dizzy and not having a lot of success puttin them in anyway i stopped them, i have seen the consultant and she didnt seem to notice, just said carry on with the drops ha ha. My eye is still very red and very sore but she said i was doing ok and have to have a stitch out maybe in 3wks if i survive that long, please someone tell me it doesnt hurt i want the truth and to know what to expect. I am not having the other eye done should a cateract appear. Thanks in anticipation

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liz, I am no help to you whatsoever but am heartfelt sorry with what you have to say and whats has happened to you, I hope and pray that someone can answer your question, the only thing that I feel sure about is that they will anaethathisise your eye prior to removing the stitch and that should be make it a painless task, has to be done, please let us all know your result.

I have replied to others re difficulties they have had and there seems to be quite a few, i have had both my cataracts removed and didnt find it ok like so many others who have had the op and had no problems, this page restores my faith because I thought it was just me.  My sight is ok on both eyes, had one done last June and the second one in August, I still have slight pain in one of my eyes plus distorted vision down the side of my eye and they both feel kind of heavy,  Having said all that I think its important to have cataracts removed, I wasnt going to have my second one done, but did, didnt want the cataract to get worse and maybe lose my sight,  Again let us know how you get on

Kindest regards and best wishes, Agnes

• Posted

Liz

I didn't have stiches so can't help there.  What I would say about the drops, I don't think it matters too much and we have to listen to our body, in this case our eyes and they were clearly not right for you.  They are probably to help stop any infection and so far you have had a good report, so no problems there.  Good luck.

• Posted

Wow, LIz, I wish there were something I could say that would ease your fears.  I did have a cirucumstance where I got stitiches but they disappated on their own, I didn't need to have them removed.  I guess they used something different with mine or maybe just because of a different circumstance.  When I had my Cataracts removed it was the worst thing ever, everything went wrong, I couldn't see right for a month, it was just an all around horrible experience.  The Cataract on one of my eyes was so thick that when they removed it, my Iris AND my Pupil came out and had to be stitched back in.  I know this isn't the same thing as you and I can't help you but I can say to just hang in there and give it time.  In my opinion time is the answer because each day it get's better even if it's 1/2% it's something.  I don't know about the drops because I had what they call the Dropless surgery where they inject the drops directly into your eye while you are in surgery but you might want to discuss the fact that you are not using the drops with your surgeon because you definately don't want your eyes to get infected.  The sore/redness could be some infection so be careful about skipping the drops.  One of my eyes was so sore and red I could hardly open it (the one that had the Iris and Pupil come out).  It took weeks till it felt better, at least 3/4 weeks.  Good luck with everything, I will say a prayer for you.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words, glad some people are sensitive. Eye is a bit better,still red and i can feel what i presume is the stitch so hopefully be glad when it comes out
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems, I've had my share and still do, nearly 2 years.  

But as far as having the stitch out, for me it was no big deal at all. Very quick and painless with no anesthetic. Sounds like it's the least of your troubles. Good luck.

• Posted

I had my cataract done 10 days ago and slowly getting there I suffered a bleed during the op due to an error , sight affected badly at first but improving now . My eye is still sore at times and the drops do sting you may have a slight infection in your eye and need a different type of drop . Contact your surgeon if you can maybe via his secretary . I do agree with other people on this site having cataracts done is not as straight forward as we are led to believe . I'm undecided at this stage whether to have my second one done , good luck hopefully each day things will improve .

• Posted

Well, you're a fool if you stopped taking the drops without consulting your consultant. How does intra-ocular pressure leading to blindness sound because you stopped taking your eye-drops ?

• Posted

Well i can see you are a sensitive soul, thanks for the kind words, I did tell my GP and she never said a word. My eye pressure has been measured by 2 follow up visits and all is well. I will let you know if i lose my sight in that eye
  • Posted

Oh Liz,

I am so sorry...

The dropped nucleus became an issue only after the advent of phacoemulsification. Prior to this, dropped nuclei rarely occurred because the entire lens was expressed through a large corneal wound, without intralenticular manipulations, in a technique called extracapsular cataract extraction.

Published studies reassure us that the incidence of dropped nucleus is low,1-3 and the multiple benefits of phaco surgery, compared with older techniques, more than compensate for the risk.

But low risk is meaningless when you are recovering from a dropped nucleus.

Liz, you need to speak frankly with your surgeon ..I suspect that the drops may have been to control IntraOcular Pressure, an occular steroid, an antibiotic.. the drops are important to the recovery of your eye.

I am alergic to the preservatives used in opthamalic solutions...you may be as well.

Two ways your surgeon is going to know you stopped the drops...you fess up or you come down with a serious complication

You have already been through an awful ordeal, why take any chances...

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I understand what you are saying, but they were the 3rd lot of drops that i changed to, they were making me sick and dizzy, it is 1hr on the bus to the hospital and i felt too ill to do anything other than stop. I saw a consultant on the 3rd and 11th day and she said all was well, i go again in another 2weeks. It feels like grit in there which i presume is the stitch and is dragging me down, if i went to hospital what would they do! I wasnt any good at putting them in 1 lot 6xtimes 2 lots 4xtimes and1x 2 times all too much im afraid. Thanks for your concern
  • Posted

Cataract surgery should not hurt at all. I would look for another doctor! My surgery did Not hurt.
    • Posted

Bit late for that im afraid, yes everyone said it would be fine, famous last words, i was one of the unlucky ones, how do i know if the surgeon made a mistake! Thanks for your concern.
    • Posted

Hi Liz and Leann, yes its a bit late to get another surgeon and Liz you are most certainly not the only unlucky one, Leann has been one of the lucky ones, I spoke to people who had either had the op or knew on someone who had the op and they all said it was straightforward but on this site you can see clearly thats its not, it wasnt for me either, I hope you are going to be OK, please let us all know, keep us up to date, I am having to live with my after surgery symptoms.  I would like to know if anyone can tell me if you can ever rub your eye when it itches or gets something in it after cataract surgery, many thanks if anyone can help

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Hi Agnes, how long is it since you had your surgery, mine was 23rd and 24th Oct, because of the grit feeling i constantly feel the need to itch mostly in the corner to the outside of the eye, i have been gently stroking my eye and gently pressing in the corner which helps to aliviate it a bit. I cant wait to get the stitch out it drives me crazy. My eye sight seems to be okay fortunatley. Who would think to ask the surgeon that, not me thats for sure. Lets hope we recover soon. Liz
    • Posted

Hi Liz, I got my first eye done last July, for 4 days I climbed the wall with pain then it settled down, i said at the time I wasnt having my other eye done but since my first eye tured out OK I decided to have second eye done, it was done in August.  Again I had terrible pain and it took a long time to go, it was at its worst when my eye was closed, the pain has subsided although I am aware of a little discomfort where I felt the pain, I have slight distorted vision down the side of my eye and intermitent kind of very fine web goes over my eyes, both my eyes feel heavy and uncomfortable, I am learning to live with this because I know its not going to change and there are others with worse symptoms.

I asked the surgeon when I went for my second op if it was Ok for me to rub my first eye, he advised me not to but I find this very difficult when it itches and should you get something in your eye it got to come out and theres only one way to do that, it a bit of a nightmare especially for you, again please let us all know how you are getting on

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Hi Agnes,

So sorry for your pain...hug

Just two days ago, my right eye has developed difficulty. The cataract surgery was October 2015 and an absolute success. Easy recovery no pain, 200+ became 20/30!

So two days ago I thought I still had sleep in my eye...I used artificial tears...still cloudy with something gliding across my eye but without any feeling of something being in my eye.

So more artificial tears...and Restatis...still the cloud passes back and forth disturbing my vision without any sensation.

Of course these things happen over the weekend, so tomorrow I will try to move my next month's appointment up.

Anyone else? Otherwise my vision is just as it was after surgery.

And...my surgeon said to never rub my eyes again...so I haven't...I am USA

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Agnes,

So sorry for your pain...hug

Just two days ago, my right eye has developed difficulty. The cataract surgery was October 2015 and an absolute success. Easy recovery no pain, 200+ became 20/30!

So two days ago I thought I still had sleep in my eye...I used artificial tears...still cloudy with something gliding across my eye but without any feeling of something being in my eye.

So more artificial tears...and Restatis...still the cloud passes back and forth disturbing my vision without any sensation.

Of course these things happen over the weekend, so tomorrow I will try to move my next month's appointment up.

Anyone else? Otherwise my vision is just as it was after surgery.

And...my surgeon said to never rub my eyes again...so I haven't...I am USA

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.