Can an allergy test be performed if I'm already broken out in hives?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is my second bout with chronic uticaria (the last bout about 8 years ago for a year). I went through testing before, and nothing came up. They eventually went away, but they're back with a vengeance. I see the allergist for testing in 4 days and I've been off meds for a day. I've been covered in hives the whole time but no swelling. My concern is will they even do testing if I've got hives that day? Because I'm 1000% sure I will have them.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to tell you my tale because I don't think there is any light at the end of the tunnel, but if there is, it's because there is an express train coming.

?I have suffered from this malady on and off for the past 40 years and my only joy is that I can now control it with medication (Cetirizine and Rinitidine)

?Nobody appears to offer a cure

• Posted

Hi, I had skin prick test when covered in hives. They tell you to stop meds so they can see true reaction to test, so they must be used to seeing and testing people already hives up. Hope they go away quickly for you!

Have you thought of any changes or triggers that could of set it off again?

• Posted

Could your Urticaria have been brought on again from any stress?  That effects my immune system which causes hives.  I have had them 3 times in my life....each time brought on by stresses over time. Each time lasting about 2 years.
  • Posted

Has anyone had a DAO test and did it show any useful information?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.