I have Vitamin B-12 & Vitamin D Deficiencies, Does Anyone Else Suffer From Both?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am currently suffering from Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin D Deficiencies and would like to know if anyone else has the two deficiencies at the same time, and if so what symptoms are you experiencing?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

These often occur together if you have a digestive issue, making it hard to absorb nutrients from your food. Are you vegetarian or vegan? 

It's good idea to get your thyroid function tested too, as this can be low.

Unfortunately, I have more than just these two vitamin deficiencies, so it's hard to pinpoint the symptoms that relate to these. I would see extreme tiredness, aching muscles and joints, mental confusion ( forgetting the names of things etc...) loss of balance, as probably the most common. 

Having a low resistance to infections is something I found was especially bad.

Hopefully you are being treated for these deficiencies by your doctor?

Best wishes 

Marion

• Posted

Hello, Thank you for your response. I am not a vegetarian/vegan however; I do have health issues that interfere with my ability to absorb vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.

I have had Vitamin B-12 Deficiencies/Pernicious Anemia, and Vitamin D Deficiencies several times in the past, but never at the same time. I have been experiencing severe fatigue/exhaustion, extreme pain in my spine/back, ankles, chest/sternum, legs/feet(especially at night), tingling in fingers, tingling and electrical shocks in nerves leading from my spine radiating around to my ribs. I've been crying at the drop of a hat, dealing with depression, I don't want to leave the house, and I've had some weight gain. I see my doctor tomorrow and I can't wait to start treatment because this is for the birds!!!

• Posted

If as you say you have been diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia you only have it once as it is for life and you should be receiving B12 injections every other day until your symptoms abate and then every eight to twelve weeks for the rest of your life.

If your doctor can find your P.A. diagnosis in your notes, with your symptoms, that is the treatment he should be giving you as highlighted below

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF, 

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 µg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks. 

The BNF advises that for Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatment.

There is a difference between B12 Deficiency and Pernicious Anaemia in the way they are caused although treatment is almost identical.

As I've said elsewhere It is also important to have a healthy Folate level.I've had P.A. for 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" at 75. 

• Posted

Hi AT what treatment are you getting for your B12 Deficiency and do you know what your Folate level is as this is essential to process whatever B12 your are getting.

Vitamin D deficiency is becoming more prevalent as people are aware of the dangers of exposure to the sun - one source of Vit D.  Other sources include fish, milk, eggs, liver and cheese. and if these are not included in your normal diet then that would go some way toward explaining your B12 Deficiency.

I too suffer from both at the same time, but then I've had Pernicious Anaemia (another form of B12d) for 45 years and am on lifetime injections for B12 and capsules for D.

The list of symptoms of both are as near long as each other and there are many that "cross over" as being the same.

As Marion has already asked - what is your diet like?

• Posted

Hello, and thanks for the response. My Folate level is currently normal at 8.7 ng/dl. I have had Vitamin B-12 Deficiencies/Pernicious Anemia and Vitamin D Deficiencies several times in the past, but never at the same time.

I do have health issues that interfere with my ability to absorb vitamins, minerals, and nutrients and I rarely leave the house which I'm sure just further adds to my issues.

I have been put on high doses of Vitamin D in the past and I'm usually instructed to take 1 capsule once a week for 12 weeks, then I am to continue with over the counter supplements. My level will normalize for a little while and then eventually it always seems to take another nose dive.

I will say that experiencing the symptoms of both at the same time has been a real challenge!!! I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Peripheral Neuropathy, GERD, IBS So I am not a stranger to pain and because of all of these I have a very high pain tolerance but even still the pain I am experiencing now is unbearable!!!

• Posted

Hi,

I do have both and I have Crohn's Disease si holding on to proper nutrition is difficult...I take a prescription Vitamin D once a week.

Hope you feel better soon...

kind regards

judith

• Posted

What treatment are you getting for your Vitamin B12 Deficiency and do you know what caused it other than the Crohn's disease?

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.

Infants born to and/or breast fed by women who are symptomatic or are at risk for B12 deficiency.

Can you "see yourself" in any other of the above apart from the Crohn's I've highlighted?

It would be a good idea to get your Folate level checked as this is essential to process Vitamin B12.

I wish you well.

• Posted

I just got a report from hospital that showed severe deficiency of Vitamin B12 (50 while normal is 700) and Vitamin D (8.4 while normal is 70). I feel pain on my calves, thigh just above knees, lower back, can't stand for long and some pinching sensation on the back of knees.  Constant fatigue and tiredness. 

• Posted

Firstly don't panic.  Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D deficiencies are both easily treated but you really do need to make an urgent appointment with your doctor who also probably has been contacted by the hospital.

Depending on the cause of the B12 deficiency you may need a course of injections but your doctor will decide that. Ask him/her to check your Folate level when you see him or her.

You will be prescribed Vitamin D capsules for several months.

I wish  you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.