medication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone, might have asked this before but been asleep since then, are any of you on blood thinners only, and none of the other things like Bisoporol flecanide etc.

L.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I take xerelto and now only 10 mgs rampril. The doc changed my bisoprolol for atenlol 2 years ago. I reduced the atenlol gradually and now don't take any other meds for my permanent a/f.side effects of the meds were so bad for me that having the anxiety feeling all the time was preferable. The beta blockers did not improve my a/f or blood pressure.

My HR can go up to 118 and blood pressure was at last taken.  142/82.

ive read loads of stuff on AF,and the best articles were from dr Johnm and the new research info called legacy pi. Hope that's the correct site. Other than that,I read and get support from this site. People are very helpful on here. 

I hope this will help you. 

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth,

That is indeed helpful, I only ask as when I was diagnosed with PAF/AF apart from the warfarin I was given a low dose of Bisoporol 1.25mg I questioned my GP about it at the time as apart from slowing the heart rate is also lowers the blood pressure I have never ever had high BP and often suffer with Postural Hypotension, I asked him if there was an alternative that would lower the heart rate but not my blood pressure he said this is the one for you and the benefits will outweigh the side effects. just recently my blood pressure keeps falling to below hundred and at the last check was 92/60 I am tempted to start reducing them slowly and see what happens.

Thanks for your help

L.

• Posted

Elizabeth, 

i just googled dr Johnm and i also googled Legacy pi but could not find anything?  sad

• Posted

It's definitely drjohnm. He is an eminent cardio doc in America. Read his article 13 things you should know about a fib. There's a lot of info written by him. It's helped me a lot! The Legacy P1 throws down the gauntlet...if you can't get this then google dr Prash  Saunders. He's done some recent research on a fib. Very encouraging info. I hope that this info will be printed for any of you that need further info/ knowledge.

• Posted

When I asked my doc to give me an alternative to bisoprolol I was given the same response as you! To quote " this is the medication for a fib". I asked again to change to another med. the doc then said...we'll do you want to be referred to a cardiologist! Same reaction as you've had!  The cardiologist...had no time to discuss my problem,just said to keep on the Meds and also gave me digoxin! I read up this med and decided...this is not for me.

Hopeless. Then we had a new doc ,who then changed bisoprolol to atenolol. As I said earlier...I'm now off the beta blockers and will eventually stop the rampril. I've suffered and put up with so many horrible side effects that I'm still annoyed that I didn't question enough,hadn't researched enough  and trusted my docs implicity. Beta blockers may be life saving for many,but I was one of the exceptions. I now feel so much better...I don't fall asleep during the day,my hair isn't dropping out,I can walk and stand without holding on to something,no bad dreams,no tinnitus.i can think and use my brain more clearly, my glasses need replacing because I can now see more clearly without them . I still have. The a fib everyday, blood pressure ok, ...but I still have lower back pain....probably due to bad posture whilst sitting so much whilst on these Meds! 

This is my story....yours may be a whole lot different . It may not be the same for you. 

• Posted

Thank you SO MUCH Elizabeth- i now googled drjohnm all one word and i found him- i will read up- i am so happy you told me. Thank you again! God bless you!
  • Posted

Yes. Warfarin only. But I had to earn the privilege by cycling thru four different rhythm control meds and one ablation all to no apparent beneficial effect and a bunch of scary and detrimental effects. For me, exercise and keeping close tabs on the INR works pretty well. I had to try to get the sinus rhythm back (it's my HEART, for God's sake!), but I would have been better served to skip all those failed therapies and move right to anti coagulation and getting on with life. Oh, well.

• Posted

seems to me this is another case of this is how we treat evereyone with AF Rhythm control and anticoagulant heres yours. without looking into your history and we all seem to know better than them that one size does not fit all, why don't they listen to us and talk to each other. the info on this forum would teach them much, Ie give anticoags and tell patient to look at there diet before prescribing the rhythm meds.

• Posted

Hi. I was on bisop 1.25, but felt rubbish. I was changed to verapamil but it had no effect on my afib and like Elizabeth, ive never had high bp issues. With agreement of cardiologist, weaned off the verapamil, and now on only xeralto 20mg per day. Hope to stop these at some point too, if ablation 3 actually works!!
  • Posted

Hi linda

I am being weaned off Bisoprolol since the middle of October. I should stop taking Flecainide the middle of November, but I will probably continue with my anticoagulant, Previscan, for life.

I have had two ablation and was in good sr up to my last holter test in October when my cardio said to stop taking the beta blocker. Since then I have had several episodes of flutter (120bpm) and afib. I'm hoping it's down to the heart adjusting but not sure.

I'm a bit worried about stopping the Flecainide but I will take it step by step.

I definitely do not want another ablation so I will live with whatever happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.