...for the 5th time!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Exactly this time last year I was rushed into hospital with quinsy. I was in there for a week, I was discharged with 6 stitches in my neck and a bag of tablets to take.

In the last 12 or so months, quinsy has returned for the 5th time, 4 times in 8 months and a return of it now, not as bad as the first time, but once you've had it once...you know that it's more than just a simple sore throat. It's the aching at the base of the skull, the head aches that won't go away even with pain relief, teeth not feeling like your own, funny taste in the mouth, difficulty/inability to swallow, body temperature all over the place (shivering/sweating/freezing/burning up), my food tastes odd, cups of tea just taste like hot water, all I want is iced water and I feel really 'grey' and washed out.

Being a weekend and no doctors open, I've a few short hours to wait for them to open. I'm alternating pain relief to cope with the pain.

Since my operation last year, the right side of my sinus system has never been the same, waking in the night because my right nostril decides to run like a tap, carrying handy packs of tissues around because all of a sudden my nose just decides to run. I'm wondering if something was damaged during the operation?

I am waiting, 4 months on for an emergency referral (which I have chased up numerous times) to have my tonsils removed. And I'm still waiting, I'm having to have time off work because my job involves dealing with customers and I can't work feeling the at I do.

I just want my tonsils out, I just want to be free of the pain and discomfort I'm feeling, I'm going straight to the doctors for opening in the morning and I will be demanding that I'm given yet another course of antibiotics and that my appointment is sorted for my tonsils.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am at an absolute loss as to why your tonsils have not been long gone...you might ask your physician how long you need to be quincy free before surgery...the NHS Wales advises 6 weeks...it also advises you should be followed by an ENT...ear nose throat

May this end quickly

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith

I didn't receive a follow up with ENT, on discharge from hospital, I made my own appointments with the doctor to check my stitches and that my incision wasn't infected. My stitches were left in longer because in my town it's impossible to get an appointment with a doctor, we have 2 surgeries, they've never got an appointment, they offer a sit and wait service, you can be sitting and waiting for 2 hours at times and in the case of a return of quinsy, that's the last thing you need.

I had quinsy flare up again in July, but knowing the signs, I requested a course of antibiotics, I was refused and given penicillin, which stopped me getting worse, but I didn't get any better, I called the doctor again and explained that I wasn't getting better and the doctor I spoke to was disgusted I had been refused antibiotics, but issued me a prescription straight away, it was then decided I need a 'rapid access' referral to have my tonsils out. I've since had a very mild bout of quinsy compared to last time where my face has swollen and I've been in agony with my throat. I've called and chased up the referral to have my tonsils removed and I've been told 'we will look into it'

I've even called the ENT department and there's no answer on the phone.

I'm trying, I just want them gone, I've got a small lump under my right jaw that's the size of a plum, that never goes away, it swells and goes down and I have a pea size lump literally just above my scar that aches and my right sinuses are shot to bits, constantly got a tissue in my pocket.

My work colleague has just been discharged from hospital, she had the internal incision and was off work for over a month.

She has been offered better after care because she lives across the border that covers a different county.

Vanessa

• Posted

Sounds awful op. I've had a quinsy before and I honestly can't imagine worse pain than when I had it. I hope everything gets sorted for you soon!

• Posted

Thank you.

I'm still waiting for my emergency appt for a trip to hospital to have my tonsils out, which was made at the end of July! Many have said that the older you are, the more painful it is...I can deal with that, what I can't deal with is the tightening of the jaw and the other symptoms that come with it.

Another referral was sent 2 weeks ago and I was informed that the initial appt might be for an ultrasound...they have to be joking...right!? I appreciate that I am just 1 person, all I'm asking is for some troublesome tonsils to be removed, it'll save me bothering the NHS with reoccurring problems and the recovery is down to me, I don't want a hospital bed, just day surgery!

Still waiting, still hoping

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.