Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was hoping to hear from someone who has/is taking the above antidepressant for the pain associated with IC. I've read where there are some dicey side effects associated with this drug...from heart arrhythmia and weight gain to thinning hair. Also, I know it can take awhile to feel any effects at all, given the way antidepressants work. I am newly diagnosed and was prescribed this med but am reluctant to try it for these reasons. The only other thing I have is Tylenol and that doesn't do much of anything. Thanks for any insight.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marylh , l have been taking amytriptyline now for nearly a year . It has helped me greatly , l have had no bad effects from taking it , l have not gained weight or have thining hair nor have l gained weight . I only take 10mg so its a low dose. I have also changed my diet which has helped greatly , there is lots of imformation regarding diet online , have a look on the C O B site. Hope this as helped you .
    • Posted

Yes, thanks, Winifred, It has. Some days are not so bad and others are very bad. I'm happy to hear you haven't had any negative side effects with this drug. I still haven't made up my mind to take it but it's great to have your feedback, Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Marylh. First of all can i say how sorry i am that you have been diagnosed with IC. Its a horrible disease. Ive had it for five years. I also take amytriptiline and gave had no side effects at all. Youre usually put on a very low dose. Im on 10 or 20 mgs in the evening. Ive also tried to change my diet. not too much tea or coffee. No yogurts. Worst of all not too much chocolate. And if you can tackle it. plain choc.. Have you tried a small teaspoonful of bicarb in some wTer. Ive found that very helpful. Good luck. Hope you can manage to keep it under control

• Posted

Hi June,

thanks for your feedback. It's ominous to receive news that this is something to be considered as a way of life. It's crazy. Your points are well taken. I soak up all the info I can before I do something. I realize diet is a huge part of this funhouse ride we're all apparently on. I'm sorry you've had it for so long, too. Have you ever had a bladder installation? I have read on the IC site that it's good for a bad flare but is painful again, sometimes within a few hours. And, my GYN explains that you need to do it seven more times, each time being anesthetized, for it to be truly effective. It sounds like a nightmare to me. Anyway, thank you for writing. I appreciate your information. 

• Posted

Hi Marylh , l had 13 installations last year and l can assure you that its not painful , there is a risk of infection because of the catherter but l use to take a fresh pair of panties to put on afterwards and l was lucky l did not get an infection . You must remember IC is not an infection although l think most of us do get a infection for real sometimes . The installations have help me l had a course of 6 then 2 weeks rest the pain came back so l had 1 installation to keep me going until they could get me an appointment then l had 6 more . Together with amytriptline and ranetind l have had the most pain free year l have had in the last 10 years . I have only had one episode l think because l got uptight about something that happened , there is no doubt stress does have an effect on I C . There is a light at the end of the tunnel .
    • Posted

Hi Marylh. It isnt all doom and gloom. You do have intervals between the flares.when its not too bad. No ive never had the installation but ive heard from people who have and they do say that they help.Ive had three cystoscopies just to confirm the diagnosis. I didnt find them painful at all.I had never heard of IC but its surprising hoe many people suffer from it. Good luck

. X

• Posted

Wow, Winifred, you have indeed been through so much. I can't believe you've had so many bladder installations. I am glad you are doing better with them and that you've kept infection free, too. I don't know if I'd want to withstand all of that. But I do know pain does change a person. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

• Posted

thanks, June. Can you share why you needed three of the cystoscopes in order to confirm your diagnosis? Why so many if you don't mind my asking. Thanks for your insight. I do see what you mean about it not being all doom and gloom. If I have a good day I'm positively elated. 

• Posted

Its not so hard Marylh , it takes about 5 mins to do an installation , the first time they keep you for an hour just to check for any side effects after that your straight in and out .They do a water test , they do not do it if you have an infection . The worst part for me was the journey to the hospital , its not fun ,but l met some lovely people and the nurses were wonderful . I was at my wits end and had got to the stage where l was frantic , l wish l had come to this forum earlier l had been so isolated and really did not know anything about IC . Hopefully you will get this thing under control soon . I wish you well .
    • Posted

Hi again

Marylh

I had one at the beginning because i wss in a lot if pain. They only found inflammation no infection or anything bad. The second one i had about 2 years after with a biopsy from the wall of the bladder. I didnt rest after it when i should have and two days after i

haemorrhaged quite badly. My own fault as i just carried on as normal and wasnt told to rest. The third one i had a year ago. Just to make sure nothing had changed. No biopsy though. I drew the line at that. Xx

• Posted

Hi June, i think I understand...the scopes were done to see what was actually showing up on the bladder. It sounds like you went through a lot. So the last time you had it done the score showed the docs that the bladder had not really changed much? So that tells them you still have it, I have not had any tests yet. My gyn did two ultrasounds which were clear. Now I have to make an appointment with a urologist. Thanks for your response. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.